Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to "Manage Database" after conversion, probably a simple fix

This topic is 4551 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I work for a federally funded program on campus and we use Filemaker Pro to maintain a database of all the students who participate in our program.

Every year we have to update the federal database with an excel file from our database.

This is why I am not entirely familiar with this program even after using it for a year. I got us to convert from fmp6 to fmp11. It just seems to run better but now I have a problem.

This year the Federal program wants 6 new fields to be added to the database. I figured this would be simple, so I looked up how to create a field and how to add them to layouts. Then I ran into a problem.

When I go to File > Manage > Database "Database" and everything else is grayed out, except for "Layouts".

Maybe I'm missing something completely obvious but I have no idea. I could really use a quick tip because this report is due by the end of the week.

My backup plan is to export all the data I have and then just create the fields they want in excel and enter the data there, but that is not a long-term solution.

I don't know if that was caused by the conversion or if I'm in the wrong mode or something, but I can't find a solution.

Thank you ahead of time.

You need the full access password.

If you can open the old fmp5 version, see what all the passwords were in it. Then use these on the converted solution.

BTW there is a problem with the data structure if fields need to be added every year.

• Like 1

• Newbies

Ok, I suspect you are correct because when I look into the options it tells me that I do not have access to much of it because of my restricted priveledges.

However, when I open the old database in the old program (on a different computer) it also tells me (when I go to Preferences > Document and then click on the "General" tab) "Your password does not enable you to do this or this document is not modifiable"

I'm not really sure where else I would be able to see all the passwords contained within it.

I suspect I might have to simply export everything and create a new database with hopefully all the same layouts and data. I think this database is locked. The previous occupyers of this position did not keep great records and I'm using the only password saved for this database.

• Newbies

I wanted to thank you and to clarify my second post.

Two questions:

1.) Where in the old database could I find a list of passwords and what they enable?

2.) How could I create a new database (to which I would assume I have full access) that would have all the same layouts, tables, and data?

3.) The annual changes are decided by TRIO and generally conform to the ever changing guidelines that congress dictate. For example, in 2007 there was a change in how Educational programs were to collect ethnicity data. That change eventually trickled down to my program this year.

If the business rules change then OK... I was thinking that report fields are being added (have seen a commercial system done this way).

It sounds as though you don't have the full access password for the old system either. Need to contact the original developer.

OTOH, there are file crackers for the old version that may be able to get the passwords out. (These don't work in FMP 7 and later.)

• Like 1

• Newbies

Very Aggravating. I'm working on a Mac and all those password crackers seem to be .exe only.

I don't have any version of this program to run on a Windows machine either. I'll try contacting the original developer but they haven't been in this program for about 5 years. Also, rumors were that they were very forgetful so even if I do contact them its unlikely they will remember.

I see a few options:

1.) New database with layouts and data exported

2.) Get old FMP for windows (somehow) import old database and try password cracker

3.) last minute miracle by original developer both responding in time and remembering password

Could the fact that I do not have administrative access to the old Mac with the original program and database on it have an effect? I was reading through the ReadMe on the old Mac and it would say things like

"Users logging in on a non-administrative account after the program was installed into the applications folder using an administrative account will not have access to the tutorial or layouts"

That old mac is locked down by the I&IT department and I am forced to use a non-admin account to log into it whenever I access the database.

Unless you have a full access password you won't be able to see the structure to copy it to a new file. Layouts cannot be "exported" as such, they need to be re-built and some manual effort is required.

As for a windows box: you must know somebody with one.

BTWI don't think you need FMP for windows. Just run the cracker on the file. (I haven't used a cracker myself, only guessing.)

• Like 1

This topic is 4551 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.