Setting up a Filemaker Server for remote access

This topic is 4547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have worked with FM for years but I've never gone beyond local networking. I have multiple business locations and have a need to set up a server instead of independent databases that are merged batch from time to time. My remote sites all have Filemaker programs and I'm not interested in publishing the database but opening up remotely. I would have initially a need for 25 concurrent users with room to grow to 35+. The database is all text and is around a Gig. Can anyone suggest a good hardware configuration that would support this. Since the database contains customer files, there is a lot of data entry with about a third of the users. I'm trying to figure a configuration in internet service as well as equipment that can support me for a few years before upgrades. Thank you

Hardware isn't really a problem. The limiting factor will be network, and setting up the routers etc so it's visible outside.

Normal domestic internet connections are asymetrical -- home user traffic is mostly download (from the internet into their computer) so the network bandwidth has the download link higher, and the upload link much lower.

When hosting your database it'll be clobbered by the slow upload speed.

See if your ISP offers symmetrical connections. They will probably consider these commercial and charge differently. Otherwise look at using a commercial FMS provider.

Commercial hosting is fairly cost efficient at the size of database you are describing. I have used Point In Space and it has worked well.

If you want to try your own set up, a Mac Mini makes a good server. You need a fixed external IP address and the server machine on a fixed IP on the internal LAN. Port forward port 5003 to the server IP. For that many people you will need FileMaker Server.

I have one client doing this. He is running about 18 Gb, so fees to a commercial service were heavier than he wanted. His connection is asymmetrical, but is the best he can get at his location. It seems to be working for him and he likes having complete control of the files.

This information is incomplete at best.

See http://thefmkb.com/6427 for information on ports.

With 35 WAN users you need a more powerful server, gigabit port on switch, adequate RAM, and fast, reliable hard drives. Even though you asked about this under OS X, you may be better off with a middle range Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 machine.

Steven

Do have a look at our services if you're considering using a hosting provider:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We have been providing professional FileMaker hosting for over 12 years. Feel free to contact me here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com with any questions you may have. Thanks!

- John

This topic is 4547 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.