Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM files won't run reliably on my companies network

This topic is 4416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was using FM5 originally and am now using FM11. When I access my files through a network both FM versions regularly lose the connection (presumably) and I get the 'delayed write' error message in my taskbar and then FM tells me it needs to close. If I was in the middle of defining a field or calcualtion then the file becomes corrupt and I then have to recover the file. Thankfully FM is quite forgiving in this respect!

The problem became so frequent that I have now moved my files onto my local drive and just 'save a copy' every now and then on the server. Does this sound like a server issue? I have not approached my IT department because I am the only person in the company with FM installed on their PC. Therefore I can live with working from my local drive with regular backups but do wonder what the issue is.

FM runs just fine on a network, so I take a bit of offense at the post's title.

Apparently your setup is breaking key rules of using FM on a network.

1. Never put a recovered file into production.

2. Do not do development on hosted files - especially if the network connection is unreliable.

3. Hosted files are shared via peer-to-peer or hosted on a FMS (not a shared volume!).

Tell us what you mean by "a server."

I'm not offended by the title, I think the OP used the word a instead of my, and because the OP stated the problem as it pertains to their situation.

adyf I agree with the above advise, and I'm wondering;

Why were you serving files that you were the only one using?

Did you migrate these files (following the recommendations found at FileMaker's site http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5385/~/upgrading-to-filemaker-9%3A-migrating-from-filemaker-pro-6-or-earlier-solutions or just convert them from v5?

Lee

Apparently your setup is breaking key rules of using FM on a network.

1. Never put a recovered file into production.

2. Do not do development on hosted files - especially if the network connection is unreliable.

3. Hosted files are shared via peer-to-peer or hosted on a FMS (not a shared volume!).

Tell us what you mean by "a server."

I've altered the title of my post to something more specific.

With regard to your first point, if you don't put a recovered file into production how do you recover from a corrupt file?

I'm not offended by the title, I think the OP used the word a instead of my, and because the OP stated the problem as it pertains to their situation.

adyf I agree with the above advise, and I'm wondering;

Why were you serving files that you were the only one using?

Did you migrate these files (following the recommendations found at FileMaker's site http://help.filemake...rlier-solutions or just convert them from v5?

Lee

I changed the title of my post Lee.

I converted my files from v5. It seems that I am already doing the best thing and working on files on my local drive and backing up to a network drive. I just though that if I worked on files that were already on the network drive I wouldn't need to back them up. I understand though that there is no point having them on a network drive if I'm the only person using them. I just need to protect myself from hard drive failure.

Recovering is strictly for getting as much data out of a damaged file as possible.

"Backing up" to a network share is fine. Opening from a share is not. Added to that, you shouldn't have virus scanners or backup programs include .fp7 files if they are hosted. That is the key benefit of FMS - backup.

This topic is 4416 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.