Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMP12A Crashing

This topic is 4360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Open FMP12 with no file.. no problem

Open new file > OS level crash

Open existing known good 12 file > crash

Open from starter solution > crash

Convert fp7 file > crash

OS = win 7 enterprise

FMP 11 adv installed on same machine

No plugins in FMP12 extensions that were not installed by default.

complete remove, reboot, and reinstall > same issues

any suggestions?

Ugh, I just made a similar post. I am having this exact same problem with FMP12A running on Mac OS 10.6.8. It's a bit disconcerting to hear that it's also happening on Windows. I am supposed to deploy a new solution on Monday with FMS12 and several clients. I sure hope it does not turn into a major headache.

Every indication so far is that its related to mboard hardware issue.

Dell diagnostic showed a hardware fault.

Once that's fixed i'll update the thread as to success or failure.

Stay tuned

Every indication so far is that its related to mboard hardware issue.

Dell diagnostic showed a hardware fault.

Once that's fixed i'll update the thread as to success or failure.

Stay tuned

Please update your profile to reflect your current operating system. http://fmforums.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=profileinfo

Ugh, I just made a similar post. I am having this exact same problem with FMP12A running on Mac OS 10.6.8. It's a bit disconcerting to hear that it's also happening on Windows. I am supposed to deploy a new solution on Monday with FMS12 and several clients, I sure hope it does not turn into a major headache.

Please update your profile to reflect your current operating system. http://fmforums.com/...rea=profileinfo

• 2 weeks later...

Hardware issue fixed..

Install FMP>> Run crash.

Completely remove FMP 11 and 12 and bonjour.

Redownload package and reinstall FMPadv12 >> run crash

Download package onto clean win 7 enterprise 64 bit machine with nothing but the OS, java, adobe acrobat, and MS office on it.

Install FMPadv12>> run crash.

Trying the trial version of 12 pro on 64 bit machine.....

Stay tuned!

Plug-ins?

FM12 also loads the plug-ins from the ~/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions folder that was created by FM11. (On Windows slightly different path).

These directories are not removed by an Uninstall.

Plug ins or not it still crashes..

Funny thing tho..

it seems like it might actually be tied to permissions..

I have admin level account on the machines ive been testing with.. no matter what i do it crashes.

Logon to a machine with a different authentication (a generic active directory account used for Filemaker server machine administration) and 12 works.

Server is NOT installed on the machines...

Stay tuned...

I have disabled "Spell Catcher X" in FileMaker 12 and it seems to have resolved the crashing issue that I was having.

I have been working in FM12 for the past 16 hours and it has crashed on me 9 times. I did install a copy of the Mailit5 plugin today but I have not used it at all yet.

HALBURN.. you've got at least one other thread about YOUR crash issues... if you can help me fix my issues please let me know. If not don't take over this thread because your upset.

Thanks...

Dude, chill out, the only person that seems upset is you. This is a thread about FM12 crashing and I was sharing my experiences in an effort to help you and others that are having crashing problems.

HALBURN.. you've got at least one other thread about YOUR crash issues... if you can help me fix my issues please let me know. If not don't take over this thread because your upset.

Thanks...

Start with the basics:

run a check on the hard disk to ensure there are no errors

update the operating system

update the drivers for other hardware

un-install all FMP third-party plugins (don't just disable them)

create a new account in the OS and test with that account

Start with the basics:

run a check on the hard disk to ensure there are no errors

update the operating system

update the drivers for other hardware

un-install all FMP third-party plugins (don't just disable them)

create a new account in the OS and test with that account

Went down that rabbit hole.. no relief till started with user accounts. Most likely culprit is Windows UAC.

Updates to come with full details of the root cause and corrective action once we nail it down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I have this crash issue. I worked the issue until relative replicatable. Then I submitted it to Filemaker technical support (no ETR). From my programmer days, this acts like a classic software / operating system intereaction issue. No ETR means workaround or move to another software package. I narrowed it down to memory and memory write.

Work around (best achieved so far) is to adjust your preferences. Issue happens when memory allocated is 64 through 256 MB (I have 8GB on machine).

Preferences > Memory (tab) > save cache "during idle time" (crashing down to less frequent.)

I have a crash issue with FM12:

1. convert database from FM11 to FM12

2. open the manage value list window

3. duplicate a value list.

FM12 then crashes.

I have to create a new value list to avoid the crash on duplicating list bug.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found the smoking gun...

The crashing is due to the SMTPIT plug in installed in C:Program FilesFileMakerFileMaker Pro 12 AdvancedExtensions and C:Users<user>AppDataLocalFileMakerExtensions.

Removing the plugin from both locations and turning off autoupdate of FMP11 allows normal operation of FMP12

Somehow the plugin was messing with the OS on FMP 12

It looks like you didn't read any of the replies posted earlier in this thread. Including my request for you to update your profile in # 4.

Read the posts #7, #8, your response is #10. Also, I had posted a warning of this problem on April 4, 2012 title “Beware of your old plug-ins” http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/83292-beware-of-your-old-plugins/

Update your profile please.

Lee

• Newbies

I have disabled "Spell Catcher X" in FileMaker 12 and it seems to have resolved the crashing issue that I was having.

HALBURN's suggestion is dead-on. Learned about the conflict on the FM forums site--as soon as I completely quit Spell Catcher X, FileMaker began working like a dream.

Turned Spell Catcher back on. Crash, crash, and crash.

I emailed the SC developer, but he says it's FM's bug to fix. (He also came right out and said his trial version of FM 12 has expired, so there's not much he can do.)

:::sigh:::

Am off to find a new spell checking program. Suggestions, anyone?

HALBURN's suggestion is dead-on. Learned about the conflict on the FM forums site--as soon as I completely quit Spell Catcher X, FileMaker began working like a dream.

I emailed the SC developer, but he says it's FM's bug to fix. (He also came right out and said his trial version of FM 12 has expired, so there's not much he can do.)

The *developer* said their trial version of FMP 12 had expired and there is nothing they can do? Wow... talk about displaying an intention to support he product. :(

You can disable SpellCatcher in FM12 and still use it with your other apps.

Try this and if this stops your crashing:

1. Open SpellCatcher preferences.

2. Select the Applications icon.

3. Click the "+" button.

4. Add FileMaker 12 to the Applications list.

5. Uncheck the interactive checking option.

This topic is 4360 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.