Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating a Runtime Solution Questions

This topic is 4380 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok so with my filemaker database ready to be transformed into a exe runtime, i have several questions.

I been having a lot of problems using software compilers like inno setup and exeshield, when i used either of these my runtime wouldnt open after...this is why im thinking of distrubuting the runtime without the installer a nice simple way, and i got brian dunnings easy encryption instead of using exeshield...

1.) after the .exe is created can i just give that to my users to use the program, or do i need to include all the folders and additional files filemaker provides with the runtime.

2.) (a)I want to make sure my solution is secure, i dont mean from piracy, but i mean from users opening it up in their filemaker and stealing it, when i make a runtime i usually do the following, create a runtime with exe extention, i leave bindkey alone since i have no clue what to use it for. then i remove admin access from all files (not the main file i use to create the database), and finally i create the error log.

(B) I want to disable the login as guest or admin pop up, but not sure if doing so will be damaging some how to the application? I would like no tool bars what so ever shown, when user opens the runtime i would like to just see it open full screen with nothing else defaulted from filemaker.

Not sure if possible, but i would like to disable the right click context menu for users but at the same time still allow them the power to use the mouse wheel scroll to navigate records?

I would like to lock and/or hide the bottom menu bar (the one with zoom in/out and the view modes.

3.) If i need my runtime to run a script that generates a .txt file and places it someone on the users pc well hidden with data such as exp date of the runtime, or the users nic address to match up with the license key, how would i create the text? and what do you think the best location for such a anti-theft file would be on a windows pc running xp or newer.

4.) after the .exe runtime is created, is there a free not to complicated way that you guys know how to change the icon on the exe from the filemaker folder icon to a custom icon i have.

5.) is there a 3rd party software or a way to determine the compatibility of my runtim of all sorts of windows OS, or is any runtime made with filemaker made to work on all windows and mac OS by default regardless of the scripting?

I realize some of these are stupid questions, i been up all night trying to fix and get things to work in my runtime lol.

6.) I need to create a script that can delete all records in a table here and a table there, but not all tables

7.) I know i had more questions but cant think of them right now, when they come to me later is it better to start a new thread for the questions or continue with this thread?

Thanks so much to everyone on here for all the great help so far!

Please update your profile to reflect your operating system. Here's a link http://fmforums.com/...rea=profileinfo

Just so you know, you have to bind each runtime on the system they're for i.e. runtime for the Mac must be done on a Mac, runtime for the PC has to be done on the PC.

I don't know the answers to all your questions, but here are the ones I can answer:

1.) after the .exe is created can i just give that to my users to use the program, or do i need to include all the folders and additional files filemaker provides with the runtime.

You need to include all the .dll and other files that are created by the runtime compiler. You can reduce the size considerably by removing the foreign language dictionaries in the extensionsDictionaries folder. You really should use an installer compiler, though. Inno has a bit of a learning curve, but it's pretty much bulletproof. The big hurdle is that Win 7 is so bloody paranoid and anal about permissions.

4.) after the .exe runtime is created, is there a free not to complicated way that you guys know how to change the icon on the exe from the filemaker folder icon to a custom icon i have.

I have used ResHacker successfully on Windows XP. This capability is built into the OS in OS X.

5.) is there a 3rd party software or a way to determine the compatibility of my runtim of all sorts of windows OS, or is any runtime made with filemaker made to work on all windows and mac OS by default regardless of the scripting?

What Lee said.

6.) I need to create a script that can delete all records in a table here and a table there, but not all tables

Go to Layout["<layout based on your table>"]

Show All Records

Delete All Records[]

//repeat as required for each table

As regards running the solution full screen with no toolbars etc - if you have advanced you can invoke 'kiosk mode' on your files and this will happen. Beware though that you have all the navigation buttons sorted out cos once you are into kiosk mode you will lose all native control, including closing the file(s)

HTH

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to do kiosk mode and this happened...

runtime.png

I get this big black border that extends off my screen and the center is just blank white. I followed instructions from here http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/fmpa_tools.24.20.html expecting it to be straight forward but ended up like above. I also have runtime enabled and also remove admin access... is there some settings i need to set for screen size or something somewhere?

ahh.. i found out why i have the white blank screen.... the example in the starter solutions go to a sorta startup screen which is white and blank. However the black borders are still an issue with it no going full screen....

I did some mods but got the following .. almost there... but the left side is off the screen while the right side has got that ugly black border... also the height as you can see is not the full height of the screen... just 75%...what went wrong? In normal FM it can all resize nicely... this is with kioks mode, and runtime file.

runtimeprob.png

i cant maximize as i cant even see a maximize button.. in fact that one is probably maximized as you can notice i dun even have my windows bar anymore...

why is there the black border anyways? I compiled this from a starter example even..... it should work isnt it.. considering the example is from FM?

This topic is 4380 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.