Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Error message

DAVID JOHN

This topic is 7757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'ved been having error messages:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Filemaker pro.e.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

How can I know what was the error? and how can I fix it.

Two possibilities come to mind.

You can try to reinstall Filemaker. That might fix it.

If that doesn't work, chances are it's a Windows problem.

My guess is that since the error message says that "Filemaker.e.exe" is a problem, there's something wrong with the name of the file -- it shouldn't contain two periods. Uninstalling and reinstalling Filemaker should fix the problem.

• 3 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by DAVID JOHN:

I'ved been having error messages:

Filemaker pro.e.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

How can I know what was the error? and how can I fix it.

Dave,

I installed a solution on a client's machine and get the same result on some but not all files. Did you find out what the cause is, and a solution? Please advise.

[ April 12, 2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Moon Mullins ]

Dan, "Filemaker pro.e.exe" is an normal Windows error message - especially a Dr. Watson (Windows NT) message. There is nothing wrong with the file name.

David,

What flavor of Windows? If it is NT or 2000, the error will be logged in the Event Viewer under applications (although 95% of Windows error messages are totally worthless). If it displays a memory location, one of 3 things are possible:

(1) Not enough memory to run all of the applications currently running. Minimizing applications to the system tray do not mean they are not still running and using memory. This is the most likely possibility.

(2) The system ran out of Page File flags - this is related to memory - you can run out of Page File flags but still have RAM left. You can increase the Page File size in the Control Panel. Second likely possiblility.

(3) A bad RAM chip.

After system memory problems, I would check for a corrupted FileMaker file. If you get an error message and FileMaker is closed abnormally, there is a good possibility that one or more of the files that were opened were damaged during the abrupt quit.

If the files are damaged or corrupt, they can continue to cause FileMaker to quit with error messages.

Assuming you have backups of your files, create a clone (no records) of your file(s) from the backups. DO a Recover on the corrupted files, then import just the data from the recovered files into the created clones.

That's my 2 cents.

Coupla more pieces the the puzzle I am experiencing.

Client is running a copy of the FileMaker pro trial software from an installer sent on CD ROM from FileMaker (could not download from their website; neither could I)

Some files in the suite open, others give the error.

One of the files failing IS a clone, and all of the files are fresh out of development and run on Mac systems with no problems.

Client's problems are on XP (which gives the ".e.exe" error; also fail to open on Windows Millenium, which give an error about a DLL file not loaded.

Ironically this set of files is developed from the FileMaker Solution Framework, a pretty spiffy set of stuff from FileMaker and Matt Petrowsky.

What to do,what to do...

[ April 14, 2002, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Moon Mullins ]

quote:

Originally posted by Moon Mullins:

Coupla more pieces the the puzzle I am experiencing.

Client is running a copy of the FileMaker pro trial software from an installer sent on CD ROM from FileMaker (could not download from their website; neither could I)

Some files in the suite open, others give the error.

One of the files failing IS a clone, and all of the files are fresh out of development and run on Mac systems with no problems.

Client's problems are on XP (which gives the ".e.exe" error; also fail to open on Windows Millenium, which give an error about a DLL file not loaded.

Ironically this set of files is developed from the FileMaker Solution Framework, a pretty spiffy set of stuff from FileMaker and Matt Petrowsky.

What to do,what to do...

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the delay... As of now, was able o get rid of the error by re-installing FileMakerPro. BUT there are still times that I just can't explain it that my program gets terminated abruptly. I've already checked ALL scripts and other possibilities...

Hope that by this time you aren't experiencing the problem anymore...

You may need to make a new file and transfer your information. This error does not necessarily mean there is a memory error, because you could go to a separate machine with a different OS and still get the same error. Besides, I beleive that protected memory spaces of Win2k/XP all but eliminate most memory errors.

Oh yeah, try running the file on MacOS and see what happens.

Ken

• 6 months later...

I have been experiencing a similar situation running filemaker 6.0 on windows 2000 and xp only on certain machines. I have filemaker 6 developer on my laptop and I have no problem opening a multi file solution hosted by fm server 5.5 on windows 2000. I also had filemaker 6 unlimited installed on the same machine and it was alternately getting a filemaker.e.exe error which just closed the files, and every so often I would get a memory write error.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling unlimited and uninstalling and then just installing regular filemaker 6 and oddly enough it still thinks that it is unlimited when it runs.

I have about 20 people accessing this solution from inside and outside our building and only my machine (fmp6 but not developer) and one xp machine are having problems with this and the errors don't even happen in the same place on the two machines.

I am trying to go live with this and I can't isolate this problem, so if someone knows an answer, please enlighten me. I hope this doesn't just muddy the water, but it seemed like very much the same problem that I was having.

Macs are fine with the files.

Hello again.

"I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling unlimited and uninstalling and then just installing regular filemaker 6 and oddly enough it still thinks that it is unlimited when it runs."

Reinstalling FM probably wont help. It probably opens with Unlimited because the more modern app will always open.

"and the errors don't even happen in the same place on the two machines."

What do you mean by in the same place? You mean while working in FM, or generally in Windows?

My suspicion is that there is some object on a layout that may no agree with some windows installs. I had a similar problem, and the file was un-recoverable. FMI's solution was to create a file with the fields (that I could remember) and import from the damaged file.

Besides doing that, I would get on the Mac you tried it on, open it, and perhaps strip it down. Transfer it to the Win machine and see if it still gives you the error.

I know, its a pain. Just make sure and maintain you backups! Have fun!

Ken

If I understand you have two PCs (actually a PC and a laptop) that both give "filemaker.e.exe" and "memory write error(s)."

Maybe a shot in the dark but perhaps it is a printer driver that FileMaker does not like.

Also, you might be able to fix the problem with the laptop still coming up as unlimited by doing the following -

Uninstall all versions of FileMaker and reboot.

open regedit.exe and go to HKEY_Local_Machine - software and delete the "Filemaker Inc." folder

Delete all FileMaker folders under c:program files

Reinstall FileMaker.

Hi There

I have been following this thread, and am having the same'filemakerpro.e.exe has generated errors and will be closed' messages if I try to run my solution on a stand alone machine running windows 2000.

No such problem when the solution is hosted by filemaker server, or if it is run on a mac,I have tried all of the suggestions offered and no luck! Doies anyone have any further ideas on this?

This topic is 7757 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.