Linking from a scrolling field

Pabs

This topic is 4258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have made an electronic copy of the rules of a sport I play with FileMaker Pro 12. The laws are contained in sections (15 of them). As such there are 15 records and each section is stored in the scrolling field of its unique record.

Most of the laws are unqualified. Some though are qualified by laws found in other sections. I want to hyperlink from a law to its qualification preferably by clicking on a text link (as you would on a web page eg emboldened and blue). Because the laws are in scrolling fields I can't used buttons behind the words).

Any suggestions on how I might accomplish the feat would be gratefully appreciated.

cheers

Pabs

Automatic message

This topic has been moved from "FileMaker ClassifiedsSolutions Wanted" to "Database Schema & Business LogicRelationships".

The Solutions Wanted Topic is restricted to requesting a "Ready Made" or an off the shelf solution, and not for How-to questions.

Lee

• Newbies

Thank you for taking the time to offer advice but I found the suggestions too cryptic to implement with my limited FM skills.

In a nutshell I want to make text (eg Law 27.2) found within a scrolling field in a record link to another record.

I took the web viewer idea as being to replace using a field in each record to hold the sections with a web viewer. I assume I could put the entire "laws" book into one record and hyperlink internally within the web viewer itself. The help section within FileMaker more geared to internet linking.

I don't know how to set up a link from text in a field to use the "go to a related record" suggestion. Again the help section referred to buttons as triggers rather than using hi-lighted text

In a previous life I used LiveCode (formerly called RunRev whose antecedents go back through SuperCard to HyperCard). It allows you to define any text eg "Law 27.2" as a link. The link becomes a chunk. If the pointer (mouse or finger) enters or clicks on the chunk within a scrolling field a scripted event will take place eg going to another page. I assume there isn't a similar solution within FM's kit of tools?

I know one of my major limitations is getting my head out of one programming headspace and into another. Any refinements to the previous suggestions would be gratefully received and appreciated.

cheers

Pabs

• Newbies

I experimented further with the html idea. I created an html file of the laws and it works. I then loaded it into FileMaker Go 12 and of course the html file wasn't copied across. I tried a "save a copy as..." with the "self-contained copy (single file)" option but the html isn't in a container field.

So I created a container field and inserted the html file. It went across to FileMaker Go as part of the FM file.

Now, I can run the html from the container by tapping on it and choosing the "View" action option. However, I would prefer to show the file from the web viewer. Is there any way to load the html file from the container field into the web viewer when the file is opened in FM Go. I have tried any number of combinations in the Web Viewer set up section in the "Specify..." the web address section

The web viewer is in a table called "html" and the html file called "Laws.htm" is in a container called "store" in a table called "datastore".

I also tried having the file in a field container in the same record as the web viewer (table called html and container called store) - the syntax I used was

html::store

- the web viewer came up with the message "Loading...Laws.htm" but dropped out after a couple of seconds with the error message "This program cannot display the webpage".

If it can be done - does anyone know the path/syntax I need to use

cheers

Pabs

If all else fails I could ditch FM altogether and create a PDF file with links and use a PDF app as a reader :hmm:

Short answer: Filemaker does not have a similar feature. Text in a field is text, and nothing more. You cannot select a part of the text and turn it into a hyperlink.

The longer answer is that some workarounds are possible - and none of them would be too easy to implement. I cannot help wondering what's the advantage of keeping these rules in Filemaker at all - do they change frequently? You could of course use the web viewer to view the rules, after saving them as HTML files. This is no different from viewing them in a web browser - after all, that's what a web viewer is.

• Newbies

Thanks for the heads up re FM's limitations with respect to the feature(s) I was after. I chose to use FM because of FileMaker Go. Writing an app for an iDevice using LiveCode is a relatively easy task but getting the app onto the iDevice involves doing a time consuming song and dance with Apple doing the leading. With FM Go you just upload the file - no cost, no hassle.

.... now, where did I put those darn dance shoes?

This topic is 4258 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.