Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Convert data from one form to another

This topic is 4171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm on FM Pro Adv v11.

I have Table1. It has a field called "_id" which already contains variable length text data: example - 1234.

I'd like to convert this data to text in the form: HID00001234. That's fixed 11 positions.

I've tried Replace Field contents using a Calc value stipulating:

Table1_id = Table1:_id + "HID00000000"

thinking that it would "add" whatever is in _id to the string "HID00000000".

But I realized I cannot "add" what isn't a number. And I don't want to concatenate.

Is this a script function? Or would there be something built in to FM to accomplish this?

you want the Number existing in the field to be padded out 11 characters always starting with HID########.

Backup first - but this should do the trick -

"HID" & Right ( "00000000" & Filter ( table1::_id ; "0123456789" ) ; 8 )

we prefex the output with "HID" using the right function we take 8 right characters of the concatenated value what ever numbers are filtered

I have Table1. It has a field called "_id" which already contains variable length text data: example - 1234.

I'd like to convert this data to text in the form: HID00001234. That's fixed 11 positions.

I've tried Replace Field contents using a Calc value stipulating:

Table1_id = Table1:_id + "HID00000000"

Try =

SerialIncrement ( "HID00000000" ; Table1:_id )

Edited by comment
  • Like 1

Boy! Fabulous! Just amazingly fabulous! A built in FM goodie. You know I actually looked at it but not long enough.

Just a small typo in the Function but that was easy to find and fix.

You folks always seem to come up with the answer! Who needs MS Access!

Bonus credit - not that I will ever do this but let's say to back this out, that is to remove (in the example) the chars "HID0000" you would maybe use Filter (_id; (Left(some_value)) to make HID00001234 and put it back to 1234? But you need to be able to determine the Position in {somevalue} of the last padded "0". This probably means a fairly sophisticated use of the Left Function in combination with the Position Function. What would you do to determine that position (count from the left until you get to ???) when you might have HID00000012?

H

• 4 weeks later...

Back again - with another rookie mistake...

I'm back to my food pantry solution, struggling with Members and Households.  Many to one.  In my Members table I have _kf_household_id, which were plain digits and which Comment kindly showed me how to extend to HID0000001, HID0000002 and so forth with serialincrement.  In my Household table, I have _kp_household_id autoentered as "HID#######".   I had to import the Members from a previous .fp7.  But, I could not get the Household Members to show up in a portal on my Household layout referencing _kf_household_id in the Members table.  Many hours passed.  And so today I stumbled upon what I think the answer is.  Somehow in the Members table I have many records with _kf_household_id sitting as "HOU#######" and not "HID#######".  I don't know how this happened; I can't remember what I did.

So, point is now I have to change all those "HOU"s to "HID"s in order to be consistent accross all records.  I've tried some string replacements like create a found set, replace field contents with formula:  left(_kf_household_id, 3) = "HID" but of course that didn't work.

Who would care to share with me how to make the "HOU"s into "HID"s?  If I can get that repaired, maybe I can settle in on how to get all Members with _kf_household_id of "HID0000001" to show up.

H

Again, it is simple in this case, because we know there is only one instance of "HOU" in the string.

Wish I knew all these commands, like you do.

You should go over the functions in the reference section of the help, at least once. Script steps, too.

This topic is 4171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.