Server Maintenance This Week. ×

UI on desktop

This topic is 3948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My plan is the put the UI on desktop, using separation model with only Data served.  There will be a mix of users accessing from everywhere, iPad, wan, network.

Can I have a UI on the desktop for local users and also serve the same UI on the FM server with FMS for those accessing from off site?  Of course I would have to make sure the UI was the same ... or would I?

situation will be: 1500 users (not all at once).  Have windows server top spec according to requirements and Steven Blackwell's suggestions.  Box is fully protected and set raid 10.  Thank you for any ideas.

Can I have a UI on the desktop for local users and also serve the same UI on the FM server with FMS for those accessing from off site?

Yes.  Though, I'm not sure why you would want to do this. It would entail the additional work of distributing the UI file to the local users, and re-disbruting the file each time you make an update. 

Of course I would have to make sure the UI was the same ... or would I?

Not necessarily.  You could distribute different versions to pc vs mac users, for example. You just need to be sure that they are compatible, i.e. using the same data fields for the same purpose. 

The easiest solution to maintain would be a single UI file kept on the server that everyone accesses.  It would then serve up different layouts depending on the type of device that they were on.  I doubt that there is much of a performance gain by having local copies of your UI file on individual users computers. 

• Like 1

Do it the easy way.  Place all files on FileMaker Server.  You can have different UI files for various clients if desired.

BTW, The Separation Model™ refers to system file architecture, not to physical location of the files.

I do not believe it likely that you will get anywhere near even a significant percentage of 1500 users to be able to make simultaneous connections, although you did note that not all will connect at once.  Depending on system complexity and server configuration, you may get a fraction of that number.

Please keep us posted about your progress here.

Steven

• Like 2

I normally put all my files on the server itself, however I typically work in a LAN setting. I would imagine in a WAN setting, it would make more sense to have the UI file locally since images, and all other UI data wouldn't have to come over over the net. However, it is true that from a maintenance stand point it would be annoying.

IMO, your best bet for speed would be to try and use a Citrix, TS, or 2X  ( cheaper than Citrix ) so that only screen draws come over the net.

• Like 1

If you go with building a separate UI that will live locally, I would include a way to query a webpage or server to verify the current version.  Then prompt the user to download the new file.  In my opinion, that is ideal for many users.  And in line with what they are already used to seeing with other apps and programs.

I would also way carefully the virtualized FM approach.  In my experience, the UX is spotty and can be confusing for a low-tech user.

• Like 1

This topic is 3948 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.