Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Using FM on the web ?

This topic is 3741 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I wonder if anyone could shed some light on this.  Sorry a bit slow.

I was wondering what exactly is the type of hosting required to publish view and share etc Filemaker on the web.  I have had a look round but still a bit vague.  I have linux hosting at the min but would change if need be.  Thanks for anyone who could explain in a basic form.

Thanks again.

Your hosting service must provide FileMaker Server as the host. FM publishing via the web still requires FileMaker Server and is independent of any other web hosting technologies.

As FileMaker Server does NOT run on Linux then you won't be able to use a linux based host.

Google on 'filemaker host'

A commercial FileMaker hosting service runs FileMaker Server software. There are only a handful of companies to choose from. They generally offer standard web hosting packages as well.

Now, if you want to pay for your own virtual or co-located server, you could go with any Windows or Mac hosting provider. Or use your own computer in your office, if your connection is fast enough -- depends on your needs. But you'd have to supply your own FileMaker Server license.

Had a trial with a host yesterday but it only allows the classic templates from 12.  Not very nice.

That's not the fault of the hosting provider. That is a documented limitation of FileMaker Instant Web Publishing (IWP): you cannot use themes. Graphics have a number of other limitations. In FileMaker, see Product Documentation > Instant Web Publishing Guide under the Help menu.

IWP hasn't changed much over the years. With the release of FileMaker 13, IWP is gone, replaced by WebDirect.

Have a look at our services at:

http://www.pointinspace.com/

We've been providing Professional FileMaker Hosting for almost 15 years now.  Feel free to let me know if you have any questions either here or off-list to jmay(at)pointinspace.com.  Thanks!

- John

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

The lead in message when you search for info about FMKR web publishing is "use IWP to quickly and easily publish the layouts you design..."

Then, as a footnote they say 'only classic theme can be used'.

This is misleading. Wasted hours and effort.

This topic is 3741 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.