Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Search 2 date fields

This topic is 3709 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout with 2 date fields, this is so we can book the appointment dates for the customer.

Sometimes the appointments are both on the same day, sometimes on different days.

I am trying to find a way to do a search through the records and find today's appointments.

if one of the date fields is blank and the other has todays date it must show the record.

If one of the date fields contains a date in the future and the other one today it must show the record.

If both date fields are for today it must show the record.

Any ideas? do i need a script?

Thanks.

You can manually do two find requests in one find operation but you'll have to type the date twice, once for each find request, into the proper field.

To do it with the user typing in only one date then yes: you'll need a script.

But why have two date fields: is it "from" and "to" or something like that?

You should not have two identical date fields. If a customer can have two (or more) appointments, create a separate record for each in a related Appointments table. Then searching for today's appointments becomes trivial - and so will other issues you may have not encountered yet.

For reporting, if you had one date in June 2014 and one in August 2014 and you wanted to generate a summarised report by month, you would not be able to do it because a single record cannot appear in two different summary groups at a single time.

This topic is 3709 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.