Table View FileMaker. Horizontal Records

luiscovar

This topic is 3685 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I hope I'm posting in the correct place.
I need some help recreating a report page. I attached a picture on how it's supposed to look.

In the report page it moves horizontally from Monday-Friday and shows what time the task was done, by who, and on the left side what kinda of task it was. 

What i don't understand is to make a table with columns only showing that day of the week. So if it was done Monday it will be under Monday only. 

I also attached a screenshot of the actual task page. This is where they choose the date, type of service, and has the workers name. 

Here's a link to the file if you'd want to get a better look:

post-110371-0-11560200-1395239371_thumb.

post-110371-0-32127100-1395239490_thumb.

post-110371-0-57012500-1395239784_thumb.

What you want is a horizontal portal!  I suggested this in Wants and Wishes in 2005, and I'm still waiting. 

More seriously, I would consider using the Table type of layout, which can give you a nice grid to match your paper report.  Sort the rows by task category ("Restocked", "Full cleaning" etc.) to get horizontal groupings you want.  Getting different days in different columns is a bit trickier in the Table view.  This could be accomplished by viewing the restroom tasks from a new layout/table called WeeklyReport,with connections to 5 different Restroom_Task table occurrences. Each would be offset by one day with a connection to a calculated field on WeeklyReport, (WeelyReport::Date1 = Restroom_Task::Date).  (Date1 is calculated as Reference date (Sunday) +1, Date2 = Ref date +2, etc.).  A bit messy, I admit.

With a bit of work, Filemaker is up to the task, but I can't help but wonder if it is really the best platform for your purposes?  For example, are you really going to want to key in all of this data, or data mine it at a later time? 

I'm not sure of your OS (Windows or Mac).  If on a Mac, I'd look the Apple application called Numbers. It does a beautiful job of laying out Excel style grids. However, its better than Excel in that you can layout these grids where ever you want on a page and add in extra labels, etc.  Its kind of like a hybrid between a word processor and and a spreadsheet.   In Filemaker a table will not show any rows at all unless blank records are made, which is kind of cumbersome for the reports that you want.

Yes, I was researching it and I found the idea of Horizontal Records, but unfortunately it has not been done yet.

I currently am doing it in table mode as you can see in the new screenshot i attached.

What I don't understand is what you said about creating a new WeeklyReport table. Do you mind elaborating on that a little more?

Would  i have to make five new calculation fields with a different calculation for each of the 5 days?

Oh, and unfortunately it is a must to use filemaker to create this report. It is what i have been asked to do. I have been only been using it for about a month and am still in the learning process. 

post-110371-0-58931400-1395246567_thumb.

In your research, did you do a search of google? There have been several discussions about Horizontal Records on this Forum, I just did this search "site: fmforums.com Horizontal portal and got several hits. 

HTH

Lee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This topic is 3685 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.