Go to Portal Row and Go to Object

fmow

This topic is 3660 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Simple set up, portal on top, a button under, OnObjectKeystroke trigger, got to object(the name of the portal) go to portal row last. Not working.

Alternatively, button set up, go to portal, goes to another portal in another tab...

Can anyone shed some light here?

With its metadata getting cleaned... but the cat just dragged it in, apparently she's been a busy beaver. 

So, I got it to work, almost perfect. It's not exactly the same as the original description (which was only part of what I was aiming for): There's two portals in two tabs. In the second portal one you can lock records, unlock them and/or go to it via two buttons, with fields and merge fields hiding or showing via an OFF/ON toggle variable. Works fine. There's also a third button set a simply go to portal which takes you to the portal in tab 1. There's really no use for this other than to demonstrate that it does go to the portal in tab 1 instead of one on top of  the button it in tab two. Maybe because portal one was created first, because it's placed first in succession in the first tab (well, so to speak first that is)? I would expect that the behaviour would be to go the closest one, and I am not really happy with the way they implemented this, unless there's a pretty good reason why it doesn't work as it probably should. 

(well, I guess it's not meant to happen: "

• Example.fmp12

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

")

button set up, go to portal, goes to another portal in another tab...

Can anyone shed some light here?

If you have more than one portal on the layout, Go to Portal Row[] will select the portal furthest to the back in the layout stack order. If you want to go to another portal, assign it an object name and call Go to Object[] before calling Go to Portal Row[].

If you always want Go to Portal Row[] to go to one specific portal, select it in layout mode and send it to back (under Arrange).

Simple set up, portal on top, a button under, OnObjectKeystroke trigger, got to object(the name of the portal) go to portal row last. Not working.

I don't understand this "simple set up". If you have a button, why do you need an OnObjectKeystroke trigger? On what object?

The file needs to be zipped.

Follow thees steps in this post. Attach a file.

Thanks Lee, I got it in my notebook, non-dropboxed, will post in a few hours when I head home.

If you have more than one portal on the layout, Go to Portal Row[] will select the portal furthest to the back in the layout stack order. If you want to go to another portal, assign it an object name and call Go to Object[] before calling Go to Portal Row[].

If you always want Go to Portal Row[] to go to one specific portal, select it in layout mode and send it to back (under Arrange).

I don't understand this "simple set up". If you have a button, why do you need an OnObjectKeystroke trigger? On what object?

Because I was messing about apparently and instead of setting up a button to perform a script, I set the variable with the button set up and the rest of the script with an onobjectkeystroke on that button. I don't know why I took that misguided convoluted approach...It was a simple set up, albeit a stupid one too. :)

I see, thanks for explaining the logic behind the go to portal, without the go to object. 

Update, I am posting my example file of the broader thing I was trying to do. As to my original problem, it did not appear when I made the example anew. But it did appear in my solution. It consisted of filemaker twice denying to go to a portal despite the name on the inspector and the script being the same, verbatim and checked about ten times. It ignored it. Upon a third try the same names coinicided.... That's my 2cs at least in what I see as a bug.  Please let me know of any unwarranted metadata in the example file. And thanks to everyone who's chimed in. 

Example.fmp12.zip

This topic is 3660 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.