Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How can we simulate multiple concurrent FM WebDirect connections for server load testing?

This topic is 3314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

My server administrator has denied my request for more than 4Gb of RAM on a machine that is serving as machine #2 in a 2 machine deployment of FileMaker Server 13. I anticipate we will need more than 4Gb of RAM based off of FileMaker Inc.'s recommended (and minimum) RAM amounts.

The server admin would like to see a test conducted so that I can basically prove this machine needs more resources. (yes, I know, I'm not sure why the FileMaker, Inc. minimum specs should not be sufficient justification!)

Could someone recommend a good way to stress test the WebDirect engine by simulating multiple connections?  Would it be possible/advisable to run some sort of looping script and open multiple sessions in multiple tabs from a single workstation or a handful of workstations? Would I / Should I create multiple accounts so that they're not all sessions of the same user (admin).? Any other advice anyone has would be appreciated.

The server is running Windows Server 2012, by the way.

You reflect  11 in your profile, you are asking about Server 12, why did you post this to Server 13?

I also noted that you are talking about WebDirect? A 13 Feature.

Edited by Lee Smith
change

If you're just after http based stress testing via the WebDirect service, you could something like Siege. Here's a page with some free stress test tools: http://www.devcurry.com/2010/07/10-free-tools-to-loadstress-test-your.html

I've used Siege before, does a pretty good job of simulating various users.

I don't use WebDirect (yet), but my FMS (Win2k8R2) currently hosts 23 databases and serves 10-15 clients (varies). With only 4GB it'd be swapping continuously. My FMS has 24GB of memory and currently uses 5GB. Bit overkill but that's how I inherited it. 

You could just go with the 4GB and keep a close eye on the disk/memory performance. You'll know pretty quick when it starts swapping.

Basically, I'm trying to determine why FileMaker is suggesting the following requirements for RAM based on concurrent users, and I'm trying to see what will happen when we have far more users than recommended. (the server I want to test only has 4Gb of RAM so I'm concerned there will be issues when there are spikes in WebDirect activity)

Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 11.40.34 AM.png

FMI recommends those numbers, based on its own testing.  No mystery there.  If you go below those numbers you are basically asking for trouble.

The biggest unknown of course is the efficiency of your architecture.  Even if you have a machine that meets those requirements, it does not guarantee and problem-free deployment.

The fact that IT is denying a simple request for more RAM is a huge red flag for me.  It means they are probably trying to skimp everywhere.  Especially if this is a virtualized environment.

This topic is 3314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.