How cancel invoice and reverse inventory

This topic is 3255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello , i have a invoice solution with an  inventory table  so when i create an invoice the inventory updates .... I want to know how to cancel an invoice and reverse the inventory but at the same  i want to keep all the data of the cancelled invoice including the invoice number. 

Edited by fileman922

Hi Fileman922,

Without knowing your specific setup, I can not be exact but this could take place by creating a credit memo (which is simply an invoice with a different category) to the same customer which references the original InvoiceNumber but minuses the quantity of products and any other charges (thus reversing the entire invoice charge).  

Hopefully you have a LineItems table where the products sold are listed.  Then when your inventory runs, those minus quantity products (returns) from the Credit Memo are ran through inventory just as (plus quantity) sales.  This leaves the original transaction in place (ALWAYS wise) but zeros out the charges.

Edited by LaRetta

I also wanted to mention that it is important to reverse all charges on an invoice, including items such as shipping charges.  This is because each of the items on an invoice should be assigned to a Type (product, sample, shipping, discount, NSF fee, etc).  By properly reversing all transactions on an invoice, your yearly summaries align perfectly for your accountant. :-)

And this is why a LineItems table is critical and why I never attach charges directly as a field in the Invoice itself.  It is far simpler to use LineItems whenever money/product is involved (and this includes payments).

Edited by LaRetta
  • Like 1

I would have a shipment return and a credit memo. The shipment return transaction has related shipment_items where you would add the items returned with negative quantities. Then, once the return is entered, create a credit memo using the same line items on the shipment return. All the items also have the original order_item_id.

This topic is 3255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.