Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Weird behavior related to GoToField or Find?

This topic is 3183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm encountering a subtle behavior that I can't seem to work around or fix.  I have a script that opens a window to select a subset of students from those in a master table.  In the layout for the selection, I have two buttons (on top of each other) that set a global field to include or exclude the current primary key in the list of selected students.  It all works fine except for one glitch.  When I first open the window with the list of students from which to select, I want to move to a record that I think the user is likely to select (a sibling).   So I Go to Field(studentname), then do a Perform Find/Replace on the current field with the name that I want to look for, and then pause to wait for user input.  Really all I'm trying to do is to set the record pointer to a record that I know.  That seems to work fine.  The problem is that when I click on the selection button for a record other than the current one, the button code does not execute.  The record pointer just changes to the new record.  If I click on the button a second time, the code executes.  From then on, everything works as expected, whether I select the current record or a different one.  It's just the very first time I click on a record other than the current one, the button code does not execute.  I have determined that this only happens when I Pause after doing a Go to Field or a Perform Find/Replace.  I've tried refreshing the window, setting a field to it's current value, going to the current record - everything I can think of but nothing seems to work.  My current workaround is to loop through the records until I find the matching one rather than using the Perform Find.  Any insights on why the Perform Find causes this behavior?  Bug??  Thanks for your thoughts.

You're asking us to troubleshoot a script without showing us the script.

You will at least need to post a copy of your script; or a copy of the file; or a demo file that you have created which will illustrate the features you have described.

Sorry Bruce,

I tried to excise the code that caused the problem, and of course, it doesn't occur in the test script.  So there muse be some obscure thing in the complete file.  But it's 80MB so i think I'll just go with my workaround for now.  I'll return if I have some time later...  Thanks for trying to help...

This topic is 3183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.