Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"Hybrid" layout ??

Symont

This topic is 3162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'd like to create a layout where i would have a list of buttons on the left side to show various informations of the DB (scripts that find and sort records). and i would like to have those records as a list on the right side. I know i could do this with buttons within the header of the layout, but i would like it much better if i could split the screen left/right instead of up/down.

Is it possible?

Thanks

I have multiple contracts with various informations (date, number of hours, contractor, contractee, etc.) and would like to be able to organize those records within a list. Ex. i want to see every contracts of at least 45 hours in fall 2015. I know i could sort them manually, but i would like to have this operation automated for all users (including one or two users who know nothing of FMP). It has to be obvious and failproof, that's why i thought of buttons with a combination of sorting scripts.

A split screen would look good and let me add as many buttons as needed. If you could show me a way to do it, i'd be most gratefull!

You could keep it fairly simple by using a form layout, a list of buttons on the left side and a contracts portal that is filtered based on what button is pressed.

Alternatively, you could make it more dynamic and have a portal in place of the buttons and use records (kinda like a menu) for buttons. You can then have a script run depending on what menu option is chosen. This also allows you to make it more flash and show some menu options to some users and not to others based upon some logic. Or at random if you want to have some fun with users. :-P You would still have your contracts portal as well. Setup properly, this allows you to create new menu options without having to go into code.

Study up on subsummary reports in order to understand what happens to subsummary parts under different sort conditions.

You can script sorts to respond to header fields in the report and provide buttons for the not obvious sort conditions.

You might also want to read up on virtual list techniques for more complex reporting needs.

Symont,

You might want to check out Todd Geist's Master-Detail module.  It combines several intermediate-to-advavnced techniques (virtual list, layout-level triggers, and, in its original incarnation, Hyperlist [mostly replaced by the "ListOf" summary field type in the post-FMP13 era]) to break up screen real estate horizontally into navigation, record list, and detail panes.  Perhaps this will provide some inspiration for you.

Mark

This topic is 3162 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.