Slide Control on a single record in List View

This topic is 3031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a simple list view with about 5 fields in each record. I would like to use a slide control to change the fields to ONLY that single record while in list view. I realize I could use a popup menu, but the interaction is not the same. Anyway to do this with a slide control?

Thanks

2 hours ago, ddinisco said:

I have a simple list view with about 5 fields in each record. I would like to use a slide control to change the fields to ONLY that single record while in list view.

A slide panel can only be as tall as a layout part so with list view, it would be as high as the row.  Sliders can not be placed off the layout either - popovers can be off the layout below or to the right and when the popover button is selected, the popover will pop onto the full layout.  

It would probably help if we knew why you wanted this functionality?  What do you want inside that slider?  :-)

If you possibly want different fields to display depending upon text in a record's field, for example, you might consider it but you'll need script triggers OnRecordLoad to display the right slider panel.  In all, it is usually not worth the complexity and would probably be considered non-standard design.

Edited by LaRetta

I don't need the slide control to be larger than than one row. I am simply trying to make a clean 'simple' view and than one with 'more info' buy adding editable fields via a slide control. The trick is that I only want to see the added fields in the slide control in that one record. I am sure there is an easy trick that I am not thinking of.

A slider must be on the layout and the slider can not expand past its layout-designated original size so the slider will take up as much room as any field/s inside it.  That will not save you space.  It wouldn't reduce clutter either because if the field is empty for some records, you can simply set the field to Hide (Inspector > Data > Behavior) when the field is empty. 

I suggest instead that you reconsider and use popover since that is its purpose and Users are savvy about popovers.  It can expand as needed.  You could use Hide on the special field in the slider but it just doesn't work well in this situation.

Please see attached demo.  Notice that the popover requires only the popover button and a Hide calculation so it doesn't display the popover button if not needed.  You can make that popover small and even have it off the layout and can pop it with a button but a simple popover as I've outlined is easiest with smallest footprint.  And believe me, you will come to appreciate simplicity in this business when months later you have to work again in this layout.

As is, you have presented nothing which requires different method.  If it still does not fit the bill, please describe more why this example fails you.  :-)

SlideListView.fmp12

Edited by LaRetta

Nice start. But my understanding of the request is that a subset of fields needs to visible across the list, and a different set can be displayed for the current record.

However, in your implementation, the default or alternate fields are only visible in the slide panel, and the slide panel only displays for the current record.

Attached is my attempt to mod your file and display alternate fields.

Slide List MOD.fmp12.zip

This topic is 3031 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.