Auto complete using existing values

This topic is 3014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

hi 

in my solution i have a text box which allows me to enter four lines.

i selected that it should allow to auto complete using existing values entered in my solution.

however it only brings up one line not the entire field.

please can someone help me that it should bring up the entire field or when i selct the first line from the list the entire content is entered.

thanks in advance.

Each new line is considered a separate piece of data - the return delimits that, so it won't enter 4 lines in a single data entry action

You can type the start of Line 1 - it will auto-fill. Then click on the second line, start typing that, and it will auto fill etc

1 hour ago, H said:

or when i selct the first line from the list the entire content is entered.

Perhaps you could use a lookup to auto-enter the (full) value. Although that depends on what your exact conditions are: a relationship matches on every every return-separated value - so if you have an entry where the third line matches the first line of another, that could backfire.

Edited by comment

firstly thanks for responding, that would usuall not be the case, i dont have anywhere where the first line would be the thrid line as it is companies attached with its addresses. so how would i achieve this lookup  you mentioned, i want i should be able to start entering the company name and it should bring up the 4 line of info associated with it as typed in poreviously in the same field.

i created it in that way because originally i wanted it to auto fill the entire info once i start typing the info

if i would do it separate i would need to type in everything separatly, unless you have me a way that when i type in the company name the address and all othe rinfo related to the company gets autofilled in thir relevant fields

13 minutes ago, H said:

unless you have me a way that when i type in the company name the address and all othe rinfo related to the company gets autofilled in thir relevant fields

That is the general idea. However, I would still question this: it seems you want to get the name completed and the address filled from previous entries in the current table - which is obviously not a table of Companies. Wouldn't it be better to have a table of Companies and select from there? Consider, for example, a company that has moved to a different address, and now you have two (or more) entries with the same name, but different addresses.

4 minutes ago, H said:

thanks , that looks great, how would i make my look like that in my value list?

H,

Check out Manage Databases (tables) and Manage Value List (the value list).

In the table that contains the records to be displayed in the value list, I have a calculation that substitutes the hard with a space space pipe space space. This will assure that the entire address (within FMP limits) will display on one line and view and auto-complete properly.

One you select a a value to auto complete or from the value list, there is a auto-enter calculation that substitutes the space space pipe space space back to a hard return to display properly.

It is definately a hack, but semi-functional ;oP

Good luck!

Nice hack!  :-)

But truly, H, fixing the solution to standard, normalized database structure is highly recommended instead.  Otherwise, I believe it will bite you again down the road in other areas.  No sense wasting time designing it improperly only to have to unravel your knitting and redo it again later.  And rest assured, you WILL have to change it later, probably sooner than you think.

Edited by LaRetta

This topic is 3014 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.