Test as Another Privilege Set?

This topic is 2966 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our primary system is currently in FM 12, and I also have FM 14 (Advanced) installed on my laptop. I had thought that I read or heard that it was now possible for an administrator to test a different privilege set without logging out and back in under a different account, but I'm not finding that option anywhere. I've tried Googling and perusing the index of the "missing manual" series, but I must not even be hitting the right terminology - or I've completely misunderstood this and it's not actually a feature.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Except that there is nothing new about the Re-Login[] script step since it was first introduced in version 7. And it certainly does not fit your description:

1 hour ago, Courtney said:

I had thought that I read or heard that it was now possible for an administrator to test a different privilege set without logging out and back in under a different account

All it does is allow you to log out and back in under a different account without having to close and reopen the file.

Edited by comment

Your best bet may be to have two instances of the file opened:  one with [Full Access] privileges and the other with the subordinate level privileges you want to test.  This is easy to do if the file is hosted by FileMaker Server.  If it's a standalone file, you can still do it by using a peer-to-peer connection.

Steven

On windows you would have to have two different applications versions running simultaneously on the same machine.

On Mac you can actually duplicate the FMP application and run both copies of FMP at the same time. - there is also a way to open the application twice with an Terminal Command or AppleScript with out having to copy the application itself. 

http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/11/multiple-instances-application-mac/

OR on either platform you can use a virtual machine and another copy of FileMaker.

In either case each can log in to a hosted file with different privileges so you can test the lower access account and make changes as necessary from the other instance. 

• Like 1

This topic is 2966 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.