Server Maintenance This Week. ×

DNS round robin with two identical FM servers

This topic is 2794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

**This is more of a networking question, but I am applying it to FileMaker Server directly

I've got two virtual single machine FM 14 servers under different subnets/buildings that I want to setup to be a hot/cold availability situation.  The backup VM is synced from the production every 15 minutes (one of the great reasons to use ZFS filesystem).  This server does have a static IP address assigned, but I forgot that I can't use the same IP address under a different subnet.  So when the backup server is turned on, it will broadcast to a different IP address.  Which isn't ideal, considering it will confuse end users to switch to a different server/IP - I wanted to make this transparent.  Unless I move the backup hardware to the same building/subnet, this is going to be an issue that I need help with.

Can I use a DNS round robin technique for this situation?  I know it's more for load balancing, but if I change the IP address of the backup to something appropriate to that subnet, then I believe it'll work so the end user only deals with one IP.  I do also have to consider WebDirect/IIS and an installed certificate.  

If anyone has experience with this and/or can give me some ideas, I would be very grateful!

Not sure about a round-robin but you can certainly do a quick-switch of the DNS name from one to the other if needed.

Given FMI's big push on security and SSL certs; you should avoid letting users connect through IP addresses and always use DNS names, so that would fit it nicely.

This topic is 2794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.