Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Styles eye dropper problem

john9210

This topic is 2504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The styles eyedropper does not seem to be working properly. When I copy a style from one text object to another using the style eye droppers, the down-arrow turns red wanting me to re-save the style! I can apply the styles from the styles pane with no problem. Is this normal?  I'm using FMP 15 Adv.

Hi John,

There are a few blogs on this, and some videos on this topic. Using the eye dropper creates a local style which adds weight to the file. Styles are your friends, especailly if you will need a style in other layouts. Styles make it easy to use it in other layouts of the file.

Richard Carlton has a video on this topic Layout Optimizer Layout Optimizer video here and Layout Optimizer FileMaker file

Matt Petrowsky, ISO Magazine  has a done some articles on styles and themes. I like this one because it shows how to change or update themes, i.e. from 12 to 14/15 called (Re)Theming Solutionson 

HTH

Lee

Hi John,

As Lee indicates, you should not use the eyedropper.  The eyedropper is called the format painter and it does NOT copy a style but rather each individual format.  It is very inefficient.  Instead, select the object and then from Inspector, select the Styles tab and select the style you wish from there.

Format painter is an old holdover and is very inefficient.

• 9 months later...

Is there a way to copy formatting and update an existing style? Yes, should have updated the field's existing assigned style, but didn't. So, I'd like to capture a style and update an existing style definition to match.

Hi Barbara, first I want to mention that 16 has changed the 'arrow' by the styles (on Appearance tab) to an eye dropper which makes our statements above seem incorrect.  But if you select the field with the correct style, and select the eye dropper next to the right of the 'edit' popover (tooltip shows 'copy') then select the OTHER field with the style you wish to correct, and select the 'paste' eyedropper then save the style and save it to the theme, that second style will change throughout your solution.

It doesn't matter if the first style has been modified and is different from its saved values ... it will use the current values in its copy process.  If I still misunderstand your request, please let me know!

Edited by LaRetta

if any one objects is a button it is grouped and the old behavior of being able to style it or use the eye dropper is gone you have to select the object from the object window. 

I don't have 16, I think you are stuck with how you would do it in 15. Is this a Classic Theme?

I would save a copy of the theme as a minimalist and if you are in love with the older file, then create a new Theme (wow, I didn't know they changed the dropper),  either using the the way LaRetta suggested, or what I have done is to create a new look.

HTH

Lee

23 minutes ago, Ocean West said:

button it is grouped

I thought it strange when I discovered this, that is, until I thought about what the button was comprised of. i.e. It has lines, boxes, icons,  etc ...and than it actually made sense. 

Hmm. LR, what seems to happen is that the eye dropper changes the target to the copied style. I don't want that. I want to copy the style's attributes and  update an existing style to match.

For example, I have field left, field right. I update field left to have an inner shadow, etc. (too much to want to redo). I want to copy those attributes, paste on a field that is assigned field right style and then, save field right - updating its styling.

1 hour ago, bcooney said:

I want to copy the style's attributes and  update an existing style to match.

So you want to just copy some attributes of the style of the field but not all?  If so, Matt P. produced a video on modifying individual attributes of a style at the CSS level.  But if you wish to capture specific inner shadow and parts of the style which are more complex but ignore alignment then it seems simpler to just copy the entire style and change back the few simpler portions (alignment) that you do not want changed.  I don't know of a way, using Inspector eye droppers, to copy part of the style, sorry.

Sort of. I want to copy a style's attributes to another object but not change that object's assigned style. What happens now is that the destination's object style is changed.

This topic is 2504 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.