Exporting data in a portal

This topic is 2653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys!
I'm having problems when exporting the data inside a portal, there are two portals on the layout but only one is viewable and the other is hidden, the portal that I want to export also has a filter . I'm using the export records option found in filemaker pro 14.

This is the portal (it's in spanish):
portal.PNG

this is the export (I put the field names in english):

excel.PNG

Edited by muskee
  • Like 1

Hi Muskee

Sorry, but I can't access your enclosure, it's just a question mark. And also, you don't actually ask us a question. What specifically is your question?

Without seeing the file I'm not sure, but bear in mind that the 'Filter' applied to a portal is 'cosmetic' and doesn't alter which records are matched by that relationship. All the records that match that relationship would be exported, not just the ones that are shown by the filter.

Let us see the file and know what your question is and we can help more.

4 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

What is incomplete about the current export?

Ok, look at the excel picture, the first 4 columns are missing information. Apparently the information is grouped so no information is repeated

Ok I got you,
But now I don't know how to get the data I need.

What I did was to show in the portal the related records the parent table had with the child table

If I'm in the child table, I need to see all the records related to the parent table. If I do the portal in the child table, how can I see all the records that are related to the same parent? the relationship is based on parent table ID --> child table ID FK

You don't do a portal in the child table.  From the parent you do a 'go to related' to the child table.  That will give you the found set of children.  You do the export based on that found set and you can include related parent fields.

2 hours ago, muskee said:

I need to see all the records related to the parent table

As Wim said, it's easy to get them using the Go to Related Record script step. However, in your original post you said that the portal is filtered. You would have to further constrain the found set to replicate the effect of the filter.

1 hour ago, comment said:

As Wim said, it's easy to get them using the Go to Related Record script step. However, in your original post you said that the portal is filtered. You would have to further constrain the found set to replicate the effect of the filter.

Another option is to object name a field in that filtered portal and use 'Go To Object [ 'thatName' ] immediately before your Go To Related Record[] step.  This will apply the filter you've specified.

Actually I just realized that issuing a Go To Portal Row [ first ] before the GTRR does the same thing!  Object naming the portal doesn't work however.  Since you have two portals on the layout, you would need to make sure the filtered portal is FIRST in stacking order.  To be safe, it is probably better to use object name.

Edited by LaRetta

On 7/12/2016 at 1:39 PM, LaRetta said:

Another option is to object name a field in that filtered portal and use 'Go To Object [ 'thatName' ] immediately before your Go To Related Record[] step.  This will apply the filter you've specified.

I didn't understand!
I have my filtered portal in the parent table. There is a field inside the filtered portal called Credits, so let's object name the field to objCredtis. so if I make a script:
Go To Object [ 'objCredtis' ]
Go to related records [Show only related records; From table: "Child table"; using layout <Current Layout>]
export records[no dialog]

this should work?

Actually I just realized that issuing a Go To Portal Row [ first ] before the GTRR does the same thing!  Object naming the portal doesn't work however.  Since you have two portals on the layout, you would need to make sure the filtered portal is FIRST in stacking order.  To be safe, it is probably better to use object name.

With the same filtered portal, If I do a script:
Go to Portal row [first]
Go to related records [Show only related records; From table: "Child table"; using layout <Current Layout>]
export records[no dialog]

Sooo both methods should work? or am I lost? :v

This topic is 2653 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.