jorfasan

Filemaker Server 16 and Windows 10

The FM specifications state that (On Windows platform), the Windows 10 OS is nos apparently supported.

Any experiences about installing FMServer 15 or 16 under Windows 10?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

not supported, so why would you want to?

You'll find plenty of posts of people who have tried with 15, some were able to make it work, some didn't.

Consumer-grade Windows OS is lacking many of the optimizations that a true server has. Along with vast differences in prioritizing of services and processes, it is truly a different kind of beast.

As Wim said, you may get it to work. You may get it to partially work. It may put your data at risk. Or it may fail completely. At that point, you have no support options with FMI. They won't help you until you get it onto a supported OS.

Some important things to keep in mind should you continue down that route.

Well it is the classic strange issue that comes to me.

A company set up a server in a NUC5i5RYH with Win10 and said it was good enough for FMServer 15… and it was not supported.

I can see the tech reasons in favor of the server-grade Windows OS

I will try a search in order to see if the difficulties are beatable. 

Thanks, folks !!

How many users?

4 users 

The 4 machines are: (3 windows and 1 mac.

Next year perhaps the 5th license to be used with FMGo. Not important.

In my last job we developed for a customer that ran their FMS on a Win7 system. They had constant issues and rebooted the box nearly daily. We kept telling them to move it to a proper server OS. They haven't as yet.

You can always buy a Mac mini and run it on that for those few users. Here in Australia they sell for $800 and it's supported by FileMaker. Just make sure you don't skimp on backups as the mini only has a single drive.

Well, it can work.

But you may run into issues like your Windows PC goes to sleep or restarts to install updates.

For Server you can configure more to keep it running all the time. Depends all on the compromises you like to make.

As always helpful and concise messages.

I will search in the forum to give the instalation process a try. 

Thanks to all.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Cable
      I'm having more and more problems with users getting the error that they can't modify a record because they're already modifying it in another window. Except that they aren't. When I look at the server admin console, though, I'm seeing multiple connections for each user. One guy is showing 32 connections! Anybody have any idea what is going on?
      Windows Server 16
      FileMaker Server 16
    • By Will Slaughter
      I'm using the FileMaker JDBC driver to drive the data layer of a web application, and I'm noticing a periodic crash in the xdbc_listener process on the server. It doesn't seem to correlate to volume or load, and I can't seem to identify any other pattern in its occurrence.
      I'm seeing this message in the stderr log in the FileMaker Server Logs directory:
      fmxdbc_listener(259,0x7000061f0000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fb036825a00: pointer being freed was not allocated
      *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
      Using FileMaker 16.0.4
    • By rt916
      This is a strange issue that happened only after we upgraded from FMP11 to FMP16.0.3. We also migrated the FMS to a new windows 2012 virtual server, with a updated version of SQL 2012 (previously 2008).
      Most users (125+) can connect with no issues.
      But we have a handful of users (5-10) that cannot open the database at all. They either run the launcher and never get a login screen, or after they login the initial scripts start to search for the users data and it never finishes. The FMP software eventually hangs up and they have to end task in windows. Of the users with problems, 1 can login to database with administrative privileges but not without. Several other users get stuck at the searching script and never make it past that.
      Things we have tried so far:
      - Reloading the users operating system, no change
      - Adding the user to administrative group in Active Directory, no change
      - Removing FMP16 and loading FMP15, then FMP14, no change
      - Rebooting the server, no change
      - Removing the startup scripts completely from the problem users, no change
      I have found some articles about creating a new active directory organizational unit (OU) and adding the users to that group. Problem is we don't have direct server access so that process will take us several days to get the IT folks to test it with our network. 
      Has anyone else ran into this issue upgrading to FMP16? Anyone have any ideas?
      Any help is much appreciated!
      Thank you 
    • By MSPJ
      So I have a hosted solution, with a dashboard with a couple portals. When I go to scroll a portal, scrolling even one portal screen has a delay of a few seconds, ie I click the scroll bar or try to drag it, and it takes about 3 seconds before it moves. Running locally, it's instantaneous. Running on a dev server on my LAN, there's a slight delay, but minimal.
      Having read various threads about this situation, my first thought was it's due to a filtered portal, so I removed filtering, but that made no difference.
      I also read various posts about unstored calcs and other factors that would cause all the data to have to be transferred to the client over the WAN.
      But here's the thing - at the moment, there are about 20 records in the database, related to the particular portal. 
      Clearly, moving that data can't be the primary issue - right? 
      I do have a lot of Execute SQL calculations in related tables, and I've read that can cause poor performance. But wouldn't that only be a factor when there are a lot of records?  
      Are there design /schema choices that would cause significant lag regardless of the amount of data? 
      Thanks,
      Michael
    • By Agentshevy
      Problem Upgrading to Filemaker Server 16.. We want to Upgrade from FMS 15 to 16, and each time I get this error during deployment.
      However, when I revert back to fms15, everything goes fine.. I have tried Clean Installation, yet same result..
      Can someone put me through.. We are using Windows 7 professional as our system unit

• Who Viewed the Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.