Richmilnix

Suggestions wanted: easy workflow for multiple related tables

For an inventory management database, I'd like my main screen to be able to accept pulls from three related databases:

- Serialized (valuable tools, which I track and want back - the paintbrush);
- Replenishable (cheap tools that I buy by the yard and if one gets left behind I don't care - the paint-mix sticks);
- Perishable  (disposable tools that are left on the job site - the paint).

These will handle their related requests differently. The serialized I'll be tracking properly to make sure we keep track; the latter two I'm looking for more like a system of 'tick marks' to help me know what we use on job sites.

We print our barcodes. For ease of use, I'd like staff to scan into a single field in an interface that is smart enough to do the right thing based on a key digit in the barcode. So when I scan barcode 'S1234', my db knows to move it to the Serialized relation field; when I scan 'P1234,' it knows we're in Perishables.

Looking for the elegant approach. My thought is that that central hot field (Scan_Here) will, when entered, store a variable and trigger a script built within the context of the related table, but I'm sometimes prone to reinventing wheels and doing stuff the long way, so I'm asking for suggestions / examples.

Since it’s been a few weeks since you posted this, perhaps you’ve already solved the problem, but I would personally use a transparent slide control with four panels: a blank panel, visible by default; and a panel for each request type. Make sure each panel has a name, then have the script switch to the appropriate panel based on which type of barcode is being scanned. The fields will appear and disappear as appropriate. (You can also use hiding, but panels are a lot easier to manage.)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By crazybake
      I am struggling with something that should be simple, but cannot figure it out.
      Below are three tables: Contacts, MaterialsTransactions, and MaterialsTransactionLineItems

Within a layout showing records from the Contacts table, I created a portal showing records from MaterialsTransactionLineitems (so contacts could see each item and not just each transaction)
       Layout = Contacts Table; Portal = MaterialsTransactionLineItems
      The field on the left is MaterialsTransactionLineItems::Transaction_fk; the field on the right is MaterialsTransactions::TransactionDate
      Given the relationship, why is the date not showing correctly? Instead, just showing first record for all? Is it the relationship, or the way I have created the portal... both?
      Thanks
    • By userfmp
      I have the following:

Table 1 – Expenses

Field A: Date
      Field B: Concept
      Field C: Amount

Table 2 – Flight Time

Field D: Date
      Field E: Flight Time (in hours)

I need a report that will give me the expense cost per hour, i.e. the total of Field C divided by the total of Field E.

Table 1 and Table 2 are not related. What relationship must I establish between them to obtain my desired result?

If establishing a relationship between the tables is not the answer, how else can I achieve the figure I need?

Thank you for any help that can be provided. 
    • By teganthomas
      Change of Ownership

I have written a database which manages my dog breeding activities, I am not great with databases - it was never my day job - and I have have hit a snag with which I would be grateful for some help.

I have a three tables; 
      One contains all the dog's (puppy's) details that I need (Dog's Unique ID No., DoB, Sex, `Sire, Dam, etc...). 
      One contains all the Owner's details ( Owner's Unique ID No., Name, Address, Phone Nos, Emails address, etc...
      One Join Table which uses the  Dog's Unique ID No. and the Owner  Unique ID No. as foreign keys and links the two tables together using a DogOwner Unique ID No. 

This works fine when I sell a puppy or dog and I have no problem with assigning more than one dog to an owner (some owners have several of my dogs) but...
      Sometimes a new home doesn't work out and I buy the puppy or dog back and resell it to different owner.

What I can't work out is how I can keep records of all the owners (active or not) whilst transferring a dog from one to the other, I don't want to delete an owner as I need to keep a record who has owned my dogs in the past but I also need to produce a file of information for the new owner using layouts for Insurance Cover Notes, Microchipping, Registrations etc.

i have tried deleting the  DogOwner Unique ID No. from the record (which I thought was the only link between dog and owner) but somehow all layouts still display the original owner.

I just can't get the database to recognise the new owners - the old owner's data is displayed on every layout - including the new Agreement of Sale which I need to send to the new owner.

It is rather like a serial numbered product being returned and resold so there must be a way of doing it.

I have just installed (yesterday) FMP 16 - upgrading from FMP 12, running on a Mac.

Sorry if I haven't explained this very well.
    • By -dp-
      I’m attaching a cluster of screenshots that document a join table. All field are indexed. It looks correct to me, but I’m not able to enter groups in the portal. I can’t even access the field. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join.zip
    • By JH Howland
      I have created an "opener" file called "OpenMP" that is located on the Windows Desktop.  Also, a global variable for the directory where the FMP14 files are located called "$$marinaDir" = "MarinaPro v17".
      When activated the launcher opens but does not open the target file using the following file path, "filewin:/C:/$$marinaDir/Marina.fmp12."  However if I substitute with the following, "filewin:/C:/MarinaPro v17/Marina.fmp12"; all is good.
      The script elements follow:
      #Create variable...
      Set Variable [$$marinaDir; Value: "MarinaPro v17"]
      #Start MarinaPro...
      Open File ["Marina"] (Marina File Path: filewin:/C:/$$marinaDir/Marina.fmp12)
      What am I missing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.