Filemaker and plugins do not close properly, if multiple plugins used

This topic is 1885 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I currently have the problem that Filemaker and some 360Works plugins stay as a background process, after Filemaker was closed (ctrl+Q). The running Filemaker process, in turn, then prevent Filemaker from reopening.

This only happens, when there is more than one of the 360Works plugins is loaded. The first one ("first" seems to be in alphabetical order) always closes properly but the rest stays.

So for example: if I only use the Charts Plugin, then all processes close, as they should do. If I then add any other plugin like Scriptmaster, the Charts Plugin still closes on quit, but Scriptmaster and Filemaker keep running (Filemaker as a background process). I tested this with several Plugin combinations and it seems, that all Plugins are affected.
For my tests, I did not open any database, only Filemaker itself.

Is there any solution for this problem other than "open process manager and kill the processes" ?

Filemaker: 17.0.1.143 (32-Bit)
Used/Tested Plugins:

• Charts 2.09
  • Email 3.1
  • FTPeek 2.1
  • JDBC Plugin 2.09
  • Scriptmaster 5.1
  • SuperContainer 2.9512
Edited by paja
  • Thanks 1

Hi paja,

We recently had this reported by another user and are currently looking into the issue. Thank you for the additional information. I will bump this thread as soon as I have a fix available.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on that one? He are having the exact same problem with our list of 360Works plugins:

* Email 3.1

* FTPeek 2.1

* Scribe 3.09

* Scriptmaster 5.1

(But we had the same problem with lower version numbers). We had this issue on with FileMaker 13 on various Win 7 and Win 10 installations. Now we updated to FileMaker 17 on the same workstations and the problem is the same.

Any help is hightly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Have had this issue using ScriptMaster and Email plugins for many many months on Windows 7 Professional and Windows 10.  Have to use a system scheduler program to look for Filemaker, java, and fmxdbc_listiner.exe process still left running and end the processes left running after quitting FM 17.  A real end user pain!  Sad that 360works is taking SOOOOO long to fix this!!!

• Thanks 1

Have you tried creating an exit script (OnLastWindowClose) that first kills the offending processes before closing FM? I don't use ScriptMaster so can't test this but perhaps that's a reasonable workaround until a fix is available?

This might help: https://tweaks.com/windows/39559/kill-processes-from-command-prompt/

We apologize for the long wait and appreciate your patience. We are a small company of less than 20 people so sometimes issues that are more complicated than others take some time to fix. Also, we like to release fixes in one single iteration so our users are not having to update every time. This also makes it easier to support because we won't have a pool of users who have several different minor versions of the plugin. This being so, this issue has been rolled into a framework update that our developer is currently working on. I have just received notice this morning that these changes are ready for testing so barring any setbacks we should have a new iteration of our plugins available as soon as testing is finished. I will bump this thread when they have been released.  

Thank you Ryan for the reply and appreciate the focus on rolling the fix out!

Alan

4 hours ago, OlgerDiekstra said:

Have you tried creating an exit script (OnLastWindowClose) that first kills the offending processes before closing FM? I don't use ScriptMaster so can't test this but perhaps that's a reasonable workaround until a fix is available?

This might help: https://tweaks.com/windows/39559/kill-processes-from-command-prompt/

As in my case there are 3 processes to kill.  I am wondering if this may cause a problem in trying to kill the filemaker process itself this way before FM Closes. Seems like this may cause file corruption.  

Even though a fix appears on the way,

7 hours ago, alanf said:

As in my case there are 3 processes to kill.  I am wondering if this may cause a problem in trying to kill the filemaker process itself this way before FM Closes. Seems like this may cause file corruption.  

Even though a fix is appears not far off and this approach is probably unnecessary, there's different ways to go about it.

One would be to use a separate closing file that is exported from a container to a local folder, then invoked which can then close the hosted DB before it terminates any lingering processes. That would probably ensure data correction is kept to a minimum.

Or, if this was invoked from the last open window (OnLastWindowClose), one could refresh window with a flush, then either kill all processes but FM, and close the file, or if that still doesn't close FM, kill FM as well. Although I suspect the lingering processes are what keeps FM running. So once they are gone, FM will probably shut down too.

However, if you're using a scheduler to kill lingering tasks, you risk data corruption as well, so doing it through a scheduler or just before exiting the file probably makes no difference.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Hello, we're having this same issue with scriptmaster 4.42 and scribe 1.451.  Java Updater Scheduler stays open when FM is closed and this stops FM opening.

Is this something that's been fixed now?

I am going to try using scriptmaster 5.1to see if that helps.

P.s. We've tried turning off the auto update-scheduling for Java but seems the plugin starts the process manually.

ScriptMaster 4.42 and Scribe 1.451 are pretty old versions. The Java Updater Scheduler has nothing to do with the plugin but I suspect that since those versions will use whatever Java is installed on the system, whenever the plugin starts the system's Java then Java may in turn start the Java Update Scheduler. ScriptMaster 5.1 and Scribe 3.08 are both on a new framework that manages Java separate than what is installed on the OS. If you see a Java process that is staying around after FileMaker is shut down, then I can send you a dev build that resolves the issue.

This topic is 1885 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.