FMP12 to cpanel SQL dbase (DSN connections)

schotja

This topic is 1752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Looking for someone to help setup a simple connection to a sql database on cpanel for our Ranch to connect to cattle listings on our website..  I'll be using fmp12 server or content for now just establishing a connection via fmp12 client on windows 7 pro machines.

Specifically I am having trouble establishing a DSN connection from any of my machines and have opened ports / given access in cpanel to my static IP.

I have also updated MS ODBC drivers on one of the machines to see if that made a difference.  It may be something quick for an expert with experience or it might end up being a gremlin.

I have set up some test databases for troubleshooting purposes and willing to do alot of the legwork if i'm able but also willing to pay someone for their expertise as well.

thx.

• 2 months later...

Much depends on whether you want to use FM's External SQL Sources (ESS) feature or whether you just want push and pull data through the "Import from ODBC source" and "execute sql" script steps.

The setup is fairly simple.

1) you need an ODBC driver for your SQL database.  The ESS requirements here are fairly strict so check them out careful.  To use those two script steps then any ODBC driver will do.

2) you need to set up a Data Source Name (DSN) in your OS ODBC contol panel, this is where you specify what driver to use and where your SQL database is, specify credentials,...

If the file is hosted on FMS and you want to use ESS then the DSN needs to be set up on the FMS machine.

So let's first figure out whether you want to use ESS or not?

This topic is 1752 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.