Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Strapped for cash nonprofit

This topic is 1676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a non-profit client who holds one big event every summer. They are staffed by volunteers, most of whom move on each year. Almost no one ever has even heard of FileMaker, it is little used on my island. I want to retire but don't want to abandon them. I have been a FileMaker Developer for 30 years but have not been keeping up to date the last several years. For several years now they have been passing the files around between the volunteers, it's frightening. I have never been able to convince them to invest in FMServer, especially a hosting service where all the tech stuff is taken care of for them. 
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this association could cope with FileMaker Cloud? I know very little about it myself, I read the "getting started" article and it seems fairly difficult. And not much cheaper than paying a hosting company. Thanks very much, mp

I would recommend a hosting company or FM Consultant vs FM Cloud you'd get much more personalized service if you interface with these folks - even if they ultimately host your files on FMCloud.

If you bring your own server licenses hosting costs starts about $85 per month I have several Non-Profits using this method of hosting.

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply but I have been over the expenses involved for a very good hosting service with them, the hosting company is incredibly generous but their association still cannot afford it. I have been donating my time for years and would like to retire. It's unlikely they will be able to find a consultant who is local and willing to go without pay. 

I realize they won't get any service if they go the Cloud route, I was wanting to know if anyone here thought these people would be able to handle it on their own with their annual new batch of newbie volunteers. Frankly I don't want to have to figure it out for this year but may be able to. Thanks again, mp

Qualifying non-profits can contact FMI sales to ask about special pricing for licensing. That could also apply to FM Cloud as well. I remember asking about it at a recent DevCon.

52 minutes ago, Michelle Preston said:

What I am concerned about is whether these people will be able to cope with the technical difficulties

You know them, we don't. If I had to guess, I would say that if you need to ask, the answer is no.

• 5 months later...

This topic is 1676 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.