I have a small Filemaker Member's database (less than 1,200) with some 650 existing members but I am not the Membership Secretary.  The Membership Secretary uses Excel to record who joins and resigns, and each time there is a change in membership (joining or leaving) the Excel file on Dropbox is updated and I am notified.  I therefore have to import that data into my Filemaker Members database each time there is a change to the members (new member, change in personal detail or resigned member). 

However I am in control over the data of the existing members who also join our web membership (at present less than 100).  The web members have to be manually activated when they join the web membership and I have to check that each person is a member before I activate their web membership.  So far no problem.  I record in my Filemaker Members database the following data in respect of each member (in addition to their personal data) - the date to which they have renewed their membership, the date they resigned, the date they became a web member and whether their web membership has been activated or deactivated.

It is important that their web membership is deactivated when they resign their membership, so they no longer have access to the members section on the web.

I therefore want to set an alarm that alerts me each time I import from the excel file or when I open the Filemaker database, that if any member is now recorded as having left, and is also recorded as having an activated web membership, I must deactivate that member.  Thus, in respect of each member, if the field "Date Left" shows a date AND the field "Activated" is Yes, a warning is raised and that warning remains until the field "De-Activated" is also Yes.  I know I can achieve that by conditional formatting, but I can only get about 28 members per page, so will not be alerted unless I scroll through all members.  I therefore need to get a warning in the Header Space.  Can that be achieved?

1 hour ago, wdrspens said:

if the field "Date Left" shows a date AND the field "Activated" is Yes, a warning is raised

There are several ways you could approach this, here's one that wouldn't require adding anything to your schema: find the records that meet the stated criteria. You could do this in a new window, so that your existing found set is preserved. Then, as long as the new window shows any records, you have records that need to be handled.

1 hour ago, wdrspens said:

if any member is now recorded as having left, and is also recorded as having an activated web membership, I must deactivate that member.

I wonder why you cannot automate this part.

You "wonder why I cannot automate this part".  I am not clever enough to automate it as I first have to open the Word Press website, find and deactivate the member, and then, only after I have done that, do I have to record in my database that that is what I have done.

My problem is nearly resolved following the idea you gave me, by writing a script to import the updated data from the excel file, and then displaying it only where there are records that need to be handled, as per your suggestion, but I am stumped by what happens if there are no records that need to be handled.  I want to use an "If...Endif" script, but do not know how to record a blank result where no records need to be handled,  i.e when I get a message saying "No records match this find criteria".  I can live with that, although it would be nice to avoid it.

Try something like:

Enter Find Mode [ ]
Set Field [ Members::Date Left"; "*" ] 
Set Field [ Members::Activated"; "Yes" ] 
Set Error Capture [ On ]
Perform Find [ ]
If [ not Get (FoundCount) ]
  # DO SOMETHING
Else
  # DO SOMETHING ELSE
End If

If you want to be more precise, you can use:

If [ Get (LastError) = 401 ]

Edited by comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By fousthvk
      Does anyone know how to do this? calling the "generate as configured" script stacks the script that gets called after the webveiwer is set at the end of the primary script, there for only the last record in the found set of the loops actually has the image file created and saved to the container field.
    • By bgscott
      Recently converted a FM application from V6 to V19.  The application will run on FM server.  Very new to FM19
      Questions related to temporary path
      I have scripts that exports data to 3 temporary fm12 files.  Two of the temp files hold data that is them imported to other files and one of the temp files holds data for a lookup in another file.
      dhistory imports data from dtemp
      rhistory imports data from rtemp
      vendors looks up data from vtemp
      The temp files are fm12 files
      Questions
      1.  I would like to have the temp files sent to the temporary path on the users computer.  I have not been able to correctly specify the output path to send the temporary files to the temporary folder on the users computer.  This is one attempt: get(temporarypath) & dtemp but this does not sentd the file to the temporary folder
      2.  Once I get the correct syntax to save the temporary files in the temporary folder, how do I tell the import records script step where to find the temporary files?  What is the correct way to point to the file so it would work on any users computer?
      3.  Vendors file performs a relookup in vtemp, so I need a relationship between vtemp table, located in temporary folder, and vendor table.  How do I specify the location of vtemp so it can be found on any users computer?
      Once the script finish running the temporary files are no longer needed and it is my understanding that the temporary files will be deleted when the Filemaker session is closed.
    • By milky
      Hi All,
      Just had a look at the new Add-ons in Fm19.
      Is there a way to make the timer work in reverse.
      i.e. Start from a field (Timer::TimeLength) that a user can input, so that the specified time of say 30:00 will run down to 0:00
      Any help would be appreciated.
      Regards

Milton.
    • By BostonFM
      I am trying to script an import of three worksheets in the same Excel file. The 3 geographical regions worksheets are not structured the same, i.e. field name rows are not in the same place and are named differently.
      The script runs but stops to ask which worksheet to process.
      How do I create a variable/parameter in the script for it to proceed sequentially from worksheet 1-3 without stopping?
      Thanks
      DA
    • By SupportGuys89
      Hello Fellow FM'ers!
      We have been testing Linux and everything has been great, but we are having issues with the authentication via web direct using Windows Federated Services. We followed the steps in the available documentation "Addendum4_ADFS.pdf" and also used "ExtendOAuth_v1.pdf" to get the AD-FS rules configured as well as the necessary admin console requirements (Client Key, Shared Key etc...) We do see the following on attempting to login to our solution:

And when we click on the AD FS Option we do receive a login prompt from our Federated Services:

However, even with the correct credentials we still see the following error message:

We have reviewed the logs within AD-FS and no errors are reported and the credentials are passed as expected. Within our solution and Active Directory, we also ensured the user is in the correct group to access our solution via webdirect. I will gladly provide more details into the configuration of AD-FS or FM Admin Console, but these all match the documentation provided by Claris. 
      We went a bit further and got an inhouse developer to take a look and test the flow and he was able to confirm the following:
      Our Endpoints are setup correctly and can be viewed internally @"https://INTERNALADFS/adfs/.well-known/openid-configuration" Initial request  was tested with "https://oidcdebugger.com/"  Postman was then used to test once we received a response. Decoding the jwt received with "https://jwt.ms/"
        The JWT had a unique_name, an email, and a groups array with one of the values in that group array being the group that is set up in the Filemaker solution.   With that said, we are not sure what the next step would be to test this as we appear to be seeing all the correct information in our testing yet we still are not being "authenticated" in our solution. I have also opened a ticket with FIleMaker and no luck as of yet. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.