Parsing csv file

This topic is 722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to import a csv file and parse it into an fmp table on fmp go 19.  The import and parsing are working well on a pc.  On my ipad, I am able to import the csv file, but the parsing is creating a blank record for every record parsed.  I suspect it is due to the effort to replace the ipad line feed character with a character return.  My code is

# Replace windows CRLF
If [ PatternCount ( Import CSV::Text ; Char ( 13 ) & Char ( 10 ) ) ]
Set Field [ Import CSV::Text; Substitute ( Import CSV::Text ; Char ( 13 ) & Char ( 10 ) ; "¶" ) ]
End If
#Replace iOS Unix (LF)
If [ PatternCount ( GetAsText ( Import CSV::Text ) ; Char ( 10 ) )]
Set Field [ Import CSV::Text; Substitute ( Import CSV::Text ; Char ( 10 ) ; "¶" ) ]
End If

Also, what is the ipad based file path format, how many slashes following file:, I have seen several different formats based on which version of FM go.

Thanks

Ron

We don't see the actual file, and we don't see how exactly you parse it - so this is pure guesswork. I would guess that if you're getting blank records, then you have blank lines in the source. You can test for this by looking at ValueCount ( Import CSV::Text ) and PatternCount ( Import CSV::Text ; "¶¶" ).

BTW, there is no need to test for the presence of a pattern before substituting it. If the pattern doesn't occur, Substitute() will not do anything. And I would use a variable as the target instead of the original field.

This topic is 722 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.