Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value list from records in 2 different tables

Amedeo

This topic is 587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How may I create a value list with all names i have in a table and others in an other one.. example.. table A: Mark, John; Thomas; Anna. Table B: Julia, Michael, Helena; Sophia. The risult of value list needs to be: Mark, John; Thomas; Anna,Julia, Michael, Helena; Sophia.

I would rather hear the actual use case. However, you can collect values in a global (field or $$var) and display in a picker list in a card window using a virtual list.

*why would you have contacts in two tables?

• Plus1 1

I Need to keep them separated because i have a table of teacher and a table of tutors that also have global field for creating accounts with different privileges and other datas. But there's a format of an other table where the students will select for a field the name of a tutor or teacher from the same value list

3 hours ago, Amedeo said:

that also have global field for creating accounts with different privileges and other datas

I am not sure what exactly that means. It doesn't seem like there would be much of a difference in the data you keep about both types. If there are some type-specific fields, you can simply leave them empty (or use a subtable, if there are many of those). But I don't see a good reason for separate tables.

It's not just about a value list. If a student can select a teacher OR a tutor, then the selected person needs to be related to the selecting student or class. That means you would need to link both tables to the same field and make sure they do not have common IDs. And you would need to put names from both tables on each report. And so on and on - the added complexity just isn't worth it.

Keep in mind that you can use different layouts for viewing each type (or show different fields on the same layout, using a tab/slide control). And also create a found set of one type only - so it can look like they are in separate tables, when needed.

Edited by comment

This topic is 587 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.