unlimited configuration

This topic is 7168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Like many others, I cannot figure out how to set up FMU. So help me please!

Here is what I have:

1. FM server is hosting some FM dBs on a win2000 server machine

2. one copy of FMU 6.0

3. I do need web server connector installed in order to use SSL.

4. For the upcoming online db, there will be no traffic. I expect less

than 10 users every day

I know I need webserver box(es), my question is can I install both FMU and web server connector in one box? if so, how should I configure to connector? if not, is there any workaround? say install FMU or the WSC on the file server?

I really don't want to buy two PCs, one for WSC and one for FMU.

Thanks!

Hi, yes you can run both WSC and FMPro unlimited on the same computer, and because all the calls are passed through the webserver you can use SSL, ssi, php etc as well.

The webserver will run port 80, so configure FMPro web companion to run on port 591 and allow access only from the webserver's address. Your databases are all set to "single user" with web companion enabled, just as if they were serving direct.

You then open the WSC admin and connect to the databases at serveraddress:591

Page format files need to stay in the FileMaker directories, but as images etc. are served direct from the webserver they need to be in the same relative directory paths in webserver root.

Running on the same box isn't best for performance, but it's fine for lowish load sites.

regards, jeff

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem/challenge... hope you can help me.

Here's the short question... with the longer explanation afterwards:

After moving to OSX Server with WSC, I can get my format pages to load, but without the graphics.

How do I get the grapics to work?

I've just moved from a G3 running 5.5 Unlimited, Web Companion with CDML pages.

I'm configuring the G4 DP XServe to integrate with Unlimited... and boy... it's been a bit of a challenge.

Currently, all my format files, and associated graphics have been copied from the G3 using the same heirarchy. (i.e. the various images and image folders are in the same folder as the CDML format files.)

Referring to your reply, I tried copying the entire folder of format files with images into the "webserver>documents" folder. (I'd thought that something like this might be necessary.)

When I use my browser to view pages in this setup, instead of getting CDML format pages withou graphics, I get: "Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /kbgames/FMPro on this server"

I then move the "kbgames" folder (which has all the format/image files) one level higher to the "webserver" folder... but this only gets me back to working format files without graphics.

I'm sure there's got to be some trick to getting the graphics to work... and I'm hoping you can help. Do I need to make aliases for the graphic folders and point them back to the "webserver" folder?

Thanks for any info.

This topic is 7168 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.