Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal button returning wrong value!

HALBURN

This topic is 6544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a portal based on a relationship that is using the ">" symbol to define the range of related records. I am trying to use a button script within the portal to set a field. The script keeps returning the first value of the portal instead of the row that I am clicking on. How can I resolve this problem?

Also...is there a setting to make this website send me an email with a link back to this thread? I find myself constantly having to manually navigate to threads that I have subscribed to.

Also...is there a setting to make this website send me an email with a link back to this thread? I find myself constantly having to manually navigate to threads that I have subscribed to.

At the top, very left MY PROFILE > MY POSTS will show all posts that you have started or responded to. MY TOPICS shows all posts you have started. :wink2:

At the top, very left MY PROFILE > MY POSTS will show all posts that you have started or responded to. MY TOPICS shows all posts you have started. :wink2:

I am aware of that setting. What I am looking for is a way to get a link back to the thread that is embedded in the email that I am being sent when I subscribe to this thread. All other forums that I have ever seen except this one have this feature so I assume that I have this feature turned off.

It looks like you're losing focus on the portal row at some point, but it's hard to say anything definite without seeing the actual script.

I do not think that I am losing focus, I have a relationship that is showing records in a portal that is based on a range match as opposed to an exact match. It is the first time that I have used this type of relationship so I am not real clear on how to get the button in the portal to send the correct value when I execute the script.

LOL, I certainly didn't mean you personally are losing focus. But if your reference to a related field returns the value from the first related record, instead of the portal row value, that is a sign that you are no longer in the portal. I don't think the relational operator has any relevance regarding this problem. We really need to see your entire script to be sure what happens and why.

LOL, I certainly didn't mean you personally are losing focus.

That's not how I took it.

What I was trying to express was that the portal is showing the correct values and I understand why the button is not returning the correct value. It's because the relationship is not built on an exact match, it's built on a range match. I just do not know how to correct the problem.

Your problem is that the portal is showing records from GUESTS, while your Set Field[] step is calling a value from GUESTS_Constant_Checks.

The value that you actually get is from the first related record in GUESTS_Constant_Checks, evaluated from the point of view of the record in the current portal row (i.e. from GUESTS through CHECKS to GUESTS_Constant_Checks).

I think you want to set the field to:

GUESTS::GuestIDSort_c

but I am not sure I understand your file that well - it seems a bit over-complicated for what it does.

Your problem is that the portal is showing records from GUESTS, while your Set Field[] step is calling a value from GUESTS_Constant_Checks.

The value that you actually get is from the first related record in GUESTS_Constant_Checks, evaluated from the point of view of the record in the current portal row (i.e. from GUESTS through CHECKS to GUESTS_Constant_Checks).

I think you want to set the field to:

GUESTS::GuestIDSort_c

but I am not sure I understand your file that well - it seems a bit over-complicated for what it does.

Yes, there was a mistake in the calculation. It was sending to the wrong relationship. Thanks.

Indeed, it may be overly complicated but this was the only way that I could figure out how to get the functionality that I needed.

I needed a scrollable portal list without a scroll bar. I am open to any improvement suggestions.

The flaw in reasoning is obvious, but why use an extra relation, when all it take is a dummy table with 8 - 10 records with the serial number field only? All it takes is a cut up portal box around each button that only attempts to show the result of the thetajoin relation.

You can implement Comment's template idea, although there are plenty of room for simplification with a dual criteria relationship and some fiddling with Mod( or Div( , but I think that this template easily could benefit from the visibility trick as I demonstrate in the attached template, you could even make the upper scroll arrow disappeare if we're on first screenfull and ditto the lower when on last screenfull.

The template does only show the visibility thingy - not the scrolling mechanics. But it would require I put my mind in math gear :Whistle:

To learn more about this topic rush to JMO's site and type "visibility" in the search box that pops up when throwing your browser at this URL:

http://www.databasepros.com/resources.html

--sd

test.zip

This topic is 6544 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.