Server Maintenance This Week. ×

CDML/email problem

This topic is 8611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here's a tough problem, that I think may require scripting:

I have 2 databases: Jobs (job postings) and resumes (from job seekers). In both databases, the poster/seeker can check off items in a value list of what profession(s) the job listing (or seekers) applies to.

Here's the difficult part:

When the job poster submits a job, I would like the resumes database to be searched for anyone who has at least one of the job fields the poster checked off, and emailed with a form letter (using the email address in the resume listing).

There are a few key problems to this:

a - it's all CDML. All online, and I would like the search/email to be automatic.

b - I believe, since the search is a concatenated one on the value list, that the Find command is a multiple find, which I don't know if it is available through scripting, especially with dynamic values.

c - the email has to go through a web page to initiate the email function, as the server does not have an email client that can be queued.

ANY (and I do mean any) suggestions/help/ideas on this problem would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to have to resort to ASP, CGI, PHP, or any other language to learn.

By the way, I was planning to learn Lasso and modify the database, mainly for this functionality.

You can check out the database at www.ctjobs.com. If anyone has a solution, or would like the extra cash (if it is that difficult), let me know at [email protected]

Thanks in Advance (and thanks for reading this far!)

• 3 weeks later...

If you compromise a bit on the "all automatic" bit, something could be cobbled together. I imagine a flow where the poster does their bit, then is presented with a link (or form button) that says "search and ye shall find" and it's the clicking of that button that does the rest.

A similar "semi-automatic" rsult could be achieved using meta-refresh tags. But the trich is to stop thinking about it all having to be one continuous process and breaking it down into steps.

It's a bit like playing golf: the current shot doesn't have to get the ball in the hole, it's only got to put the ball in the best position for the next shot.

This topic is 8611 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.