Server Maintenance This Week. ×

mini-HTML editor for Filemaker?

WilliamCB

This topic is 4853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We want to write and edit simple HTML in a Filemaker field, which is later exported to our web site. This includes things like adding bold to text and inserting live email addresses. I see no WYSIWYG way of doing this. So...

Has anyone developed a mini-HTML editor that allows this to be done easily, as it would in a wiki (or indeed when posting messages here)?

What's the easiest way of rendering the field so that users can see the results of their work?

What's the best way of handling the fact that Filemaker's returns in text fields don't automatically turn into the

tags required by web pages?

Many thanks in advance.

just a thought..

using a web viewer pointing to a web page that you host - basically an html WYSIWYG form that allows you to type in your data and format your data. Then use a script in FMP to scrape the formatted data from the web viewer?

Just point your web viewer directly at your field, using the data url.

So if your field is name HTMLTester, set the web viewer to "data:text/html," & HTMLTester

If I understand the question correctly, it has very little to do with the web viewer (except as a means to check the result) and more with calculating HTML from something that is not.

As Genx mentioned, you can use GetAsCSS() to turn styled text into styled HTML. However, it won't turn e-mail addresses into links.

If you're OK with using some in-line codes to mark up the text (like this forum does), then it should be relatively simple to substitute those codes for proper HTML coding. Otherwise you would need a custom function or a script to go over the text, identify the e-mail addresses, and turn them into links.

... how exactly is that a WYSIWYG editor... how do you edit?

It is exactly what he asked for. A place to enter HTML. And see the result. His statement:

"We want to write and edit simple HTML in a Filemaker field, which is later exported to our web site.

What's the easiest way of rendering the field so that users can see the results of their work?

"

The statement about formatted text directly contradicts the original request. If you're writing HTML then you're writing HTML. HTML is straight text. Perhaps WilliamCB needs to clarify his request.

Edited by Guest

I think the issue here is the OP's definition of what he actually wants...

WYSIWYG "implies the ability to change the layout of a document without having to type or remember names of layout commands" (wiki) vs Editing HTML code and viewing the rendered result.

• 6 months later...

My apologies for a very late reply to this thread.

I struggled a bit to understand what was being said, but the zipped sample posted by aholtzapfel explained it all.

To clarify, I was not looking for a true WYSIWYG html editor. However, I seem to have got almost that. Since users will be able to style text using the Filemaker styling controls, and this will be exported as HTML.

I can see there are some limitations to this (eg email addresses as mentioned), but it's a 90 per cent solution, and easy to implement. Thank you all very much!

• 2 years later...

Hi, I am trying to set up a system simliar to this, with FM displaying as a web viewer the email that's about to be sent to customers. The downloaded solution in this thread works great, however only in Filemaker 9 and up. I am trying to display the HTML in FM 8.5 on the Mac and it's showing garbage. Can anyone help me get this to display with FM 8.5 on Mac? I don't want to upgrade just because of this one feature. (Plus I detest the top-bar display in Filemaker now). Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me get HTML to display in this way in FM8.5.

Screen shot 2011-01-13 at 6.10.34 PM.png

This topic is 4853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.