Which free script triggering plug-in?

TJ53

This topic is 5848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was trying to avoid this, but I need a script to be executed after exiting a field ... which (free) plug-in would you recommend? myfmbutler, zippscript, ... a different one? Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn't matter too much which free one you use because they all call the same single function that FileMaker lets plugins use to queue a script for execution. In fact, FileMaker Advanced comes with a sample plugin that lets you run a script, and I think most free versions are just based on this sample plugin. If you have FM Advanced and VC++ or XCode, you can actually compile the sample plugin and use it.

I would steer clear of the Software for Humans script runner because it had some unknown problem that mysteriously prevents it from working on certain systems starting a few months ago and I don't know if it has been fixed yet.

Excuse me but with all my respect and renewed friendship to Gaston Forgues, who developed EventScript and was the first to deliver such a plug-in on FileMaker 7 architecture, I don't think it's wise advising it anymore.

There are incompatibilities with FileMaker 9 and Widows Vista.

And it has only one function, where the others have become amazingly powerful plug-ins.

As for the two others, I prefer DoScript, mostly because they were the first to introduce timed events (now zippScript has caught up).

Also, I like the boolean logic in the way you can toggle the plug-in on/off, even if this is not key.

Anyway, I do not use the native functions anymore, just becaue I don't want to have too much work the day I have to use a different one, and made a custom function ScriptTrigger ( _scriptName ; _scriptParameter ; _scriptFile ; _scriptControl ) that handles both plug-ins and which can be adapted to any other (MBS, Events...)

Edited by Guest

I was trying to avoid this, but I need a script to be executed after exiting a field

While I would have hoped you instead could get away with...;)

http://www.geistinteractive.com/node/30

...and conditional formatting. If the desire is to make join table records "en masse" use this:

http://www.clevelandconsulting.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=299&highlight=smartranges

But but might you say, what about summaries - split the stuff on demand algorithmically via export between tables... the design of a CF reversing a smartrangekey into individual repetitions shouldn't be too difficult, otherwise stay with repeating fields as keys.

--sd

Just that if you work on 'monster' apps as I was doing while creating this signature, a fair amount of daily worktime is spent watching this message, everytime you leave the database definition, even if you changed nothing ;)

Well, in short : just a joke.

Edited by Guest

Hi !

Just an update on my previous post. There seem to be several mistakes in the timeline.

According to John Kornhaus, creator of zippScript, zippScript was the first one, and also the first one to provide timed events.

My public apologies to him, and gratitude for keeping his fantastic plug-in free.

Hi Fabrice,

Gaston was struggling with this plug-in during Summer '04 when we first tried it before it was released.

JayTee would have been more precise for sure. But who cares, and where is the guy :tears: ?

What I can remember is that Gaston Forgues had no luck getting advices and help from FileMaker. Which seems not to be the case with John Kornhaus.

As you said though, both have been invaluable add-ons to our daily jobs, and with consistent support when needed.

This topic is 5848 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.