Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Sub-summary report omits records

Myron S.

This topic is 5393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

Is there any way to prevent records from being omitted during preview mode or when printing reports where the subsummary field is identical accross several records? I'm running a report regarding time schedules where the Sub-summary part is set as "sub-summary when sorted by: Time." The problem is that in this report there are several records with different activities taking place at the same time, but when I print or preview the report only one record is showing. Thanks in advance for your help

The whole point of a subsummary part is to display one line that summarizes a group of records. You'll need to either sort first by some other field (e.g. "activity"), or include a body part in addition to the subsummary part.

Thanks for your response. Sorry I wasn't more clear. Here are the actual circumstances:

This is a tour bus operation which picks up 50 passengers on a given tour. Each one of the 50 passenger records has a pickup location field (PU_LOC) and a pickup time field(PU_TIME).

My need is to run a report summarizing the number of passengers that are to be picked up at each of the 5 pickup locations, sorted by pickup time in ascending order, from the earliest time to the latest.

The problem is that two out of the five pickup locations have the exact same time, so when I run the report, only 4 of the 5 pickup locations shows up on the report.

I tried adding another sub-summary part and also tried sorting by an additional field first. That certainly works to bring all 5 pickup locations back into the report, but they appear out of order. I hope this makes more sense.

(I have to admit that reporting in Filemaker is one of the most confusing and least understood for me, so I suspect my problem is just a simple SORT or PART issue that I'm not getting : )

Sorry, this is still not clear. Do you want your report to look like:

Time: 8:00

• Location A: 3 passengers

• Location B: 2 passengers

Time: 9:00

• Location A: 5 passengers

or:

Location A

• 8:00 3 passengers

• 9:00 5 passengers

Location B

• 8:00 2 passengers

• 9:00 4 passengers

Keep in mind that a summary report summarizes the found set; when there are no records in a group, there will be no sub-summary part shown for that "slot".

Sorting by Time+Location, and including a subsummary part based on Location, should give you a report that looks like Michael's first example above.

Yes, well. I'm still stuck on FM 5 here and haven't even opened 7 in a couple of years, so I can't be of much assistance these days... But that's okay because I have a family to take care of now and don't even have that much time for adventure gaming anymore, let alone extracurricular programming.

But it's all worth it and I can still lurk at times. : <-- still a dumb smiley

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5393 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.