Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FMS11 Web Server deployment error on Mac OS X Server 10.6.4

This topic is 4974 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have been trying to enable Web Publishing on a Mac OS X Server running 10.6.4 but every time it runs the Web Server test fails. I have read many posts about this issue on this site and others but unfortunately I have had no success in resolving it.

My last process was to uninstall FMS11 then restore the Apache2 folder from a time machine (previously just restored the httpd.conf file). Ensure that within the Server Admin that 'Web' was enabled and that I could reach the OS X Server test page from 127.0.0.1 and the machines IP Address. I then reinstalled FMS11 and tried to enable web publishing again but I still get the 'Web Server Test Failed' page. I have checked in the Server Admin, and it specifies the port as 80. I'm desperate to get this working even to the point where I've downloaded a trial version FMS11 and installed it on a machine that's running OS X 10.5.8 (not server) and the 'Web Server' configured first time, without any problems. So now I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's a OS X Server problem or a snow leopard problem. The one thing that I have noticed is that if I display the default 127.0.0.1 page then run 'Web Server Deployment test' and then refresh the page I loose connection for about 1 - 2 minutes to the default page (Safari can't open the page). I'm presuming that when Filemaker runs the test if stops Apache2 running and then starts it again once it's added it's comments to the httpd.conf file. Could it be that the Web Server test is timing out before Apache has fully configured itself?

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated as I have run out of ideas.

Many thanks for reading,

Nik

Have you, previous to your FileMaker Server install, configured your web service OSX service using server admin or via manual httpd.conf edits?

Do you currently have other websites set up on this machine?

I think the problem is caused by your Apache configuration on the OS X server and if you have modified Apache from it's defaults, this could lead to the issue you are having.

Apache and mod_jk (which is what apache uses to connect to Tomcat instances which is what is running IWP) both log out descriptive statements in their log files. I would read these files for additional clues.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for you response.

The OS X server was previously running Tiger and was updated to Snow Leopard before installing FMS11 but had never been configured for any web services. After trying lots of processes I made sure that I enabled the web services using the Server Admin app and made sure that I could see the OS X test page locally and from another machine on the network using the X servers IP address. I then reinstalled FMS11 and tried to configure but without success. Other than turning the web services on I have not configured it any further.

I have not knowingly tampered with Apache. All I have done is to restore the Apache folder from a time machine backup from a date that was prior to me trying to enable custom web publishing. I've even tried to restore the httpd.config file from the Snow Leopard install package.

Apologies, but I'm not familiar with mod_jk and although I've noticed that Tomcat has some options in the Server Admin app I've not enabled anything. If you could point on the right path to log files I'll gladly check them out or post the results.

The most frustrating part for me is the fact that it installed perfectly on a non X serve machine and using a trial version of FMS11!!

Thanks again,

Nik

After going around in circles uninstalling and reinstalling FMS11 and restoring Apache I solved my problem with a 'I might as well give it a go as I've tried everything else' procedure. Firstly I obtained my xserves hostname then changed my /etc/hosts file from:

127.0.0.1 localhost

to

127.0.0.1 xserveshostname

and redeployed the web services. Much to my amazement it worked. Now I'm not sure if not setting this in the beginning was a school boy error on my part or just something that's not documented but either way I thought I'd post it just incase anybody else has a similar problem.

Thanks,

Nik

Edited by Guest

This topic is 4974 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.