Popup Menu With Auto Data Entry

This topic is 8644 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am doing report cards for a school district. I am using FileMaker 4.0. I have Report Card Comment boxes where a list of comments pop up. It says Student does this or that. I want the Student first name to show up -- instead ofthe word student. How can I make the student first name and then the comment text flow together. The standard <<NameF>> does not work in the popup menu or list --- Is there anyway to make it work in a popup list situation? I have been trying lookups and relationships and am ready to say it can't be done. Thanks for your help.

------------------

[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Seems to me the best way to do this is as follows: Define a two fields:

Comment -- Text

Full Comment -- Calculation: If(IsEmpty(Comment),"",FirstName & " " & Comment)

Use the Comment field on your layout, with a pop-up menu, to choose the comment, but make it non-printing (cmd-option-T); put the Full Comment field on the layout wherever you want it to print. If nothing is selected in the Comment field, the Full Comment field will be blank. If you want to use a custom comment, just enter it into the Comment field manually.

At risk of stating the obvious, all the comments must be formatted to make sense with the student name at the beginning ("I really enjoyed having such-and-such in my class" will not work).

Bon chance

This topic is 8644 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.