Server Maintenance This Week. ×

ODBC to SQL Server NOT showing tables

This topic is 4008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have set up a System DSN to a SQL Server database and ODBC connection is fine when I do the Connectivity Test and I can go into excel and pull records.

When I'm in Filemaker, however, I don't see all the tables -- All I'm seeing are system tables and I have all 3 boxes checked in the Filter tables area of the "Edit Data Source" screen in filemaker.

At this point I think it's something in Filemaker since I can pull the record set in Excel. I'm just fishing for some ideas or things to check that I may have overlooked.

In the ODBC setup I'm dynamically checking the port number and I'm even selecting the "Change the default database to" the database I want to connect to.

I'm using MS SQL Server driver version 06.01.7601 which I believe should work and I am using the 32 bit version of the driver.

Anyone?

Sincerely,

Dom

John:

Yes I tried that and I still only see what I believe are system tables and not the data tables. The funny thing is I can pull the table data in Excel with no problem using the Data wizard but for some reason Filemaker is not letting me see those tables.

Dom

PROBLEM SOLVED : I did not realize I needed to launch the c:WindowsSysWOW64odbcad32.exe. Once I did that I was able to connect and pull the tables.

• 2 months later...

Using ODBC to pull data from an AS400/IBM iSeries database, we were able to see the tables when only FMP 11 was installed, but after an installation of FMP 12, we can't see the tables in FMP12 or 11.

The above solution did not work.

We can still write SQL queries by hand if we know table and field names, but can't see them.

The DSN was not changed. The only difference is Filemaker 12 was installed (server and advance).

Any ideas of how to see the tables again?

• 4 weeks later...

I tried using the 64 bit ODBC driver Data Source Administrator and FM 12 could not see the DSN that I created to connect to my MS SQLServer Express 2005 database.

I used the path supplied by djc728 (c:WindowsSysWOW64odbcad32.exe) for the 32 bit ODBC driver Data Source Administrator and FM12 could see the 32bit DSN I created. I was able to connect to my SQLServer database.

I tried using the 64 bit ODBC driver Data Source Administrator and FM 12 could not see the DSN that I created to connect to my MS SQLServer Express 2005 database.

I used the path supplied by djc728 (c:WindowsSysWOW64odbcad32.exe) for the 32 bit ODBC driver Data Source Administrator and FM12 could see the 32bit DSN I created. I was able to connect to my SQLServer database.

FMP is still a 32 bit application and the ODBC driver needs to be 32 bit.

• 5 weeks later...

I had this same problem and it had me stumped for a week. Apparently, both the programs for 64 bit and 32 bit ODBC DSN have the SAME NAME ! They are both called odbcad32.exe

If you go to Start > Run on Windows 7 64 bit and run odbcad32.exe what you are actually running is the 64 bit version. I had wrongly assumed it was the 32 bit version due to the 32 in the name. So make sure to use the version of odbcad32.exe in c:WindowsSysWOW64

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem, but we continue to not be able to address it properly. After starting to use the exe in c:WindowsSysWOW64, we are at least not getting a total crash of the client and server. However, now we're getting the following error:

ODBC Error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

Doesn't this error indicate that the 32 bit MySQL ODBC driver we're trying to use isn't compatible? Should I try installing the 64 bit driver, but assigning it to the DSN with the 32 bit app?

• 7 months later...

I read the forum and was interested with the "AS400 aka database SQL server" to Filemaker Pro 9. Whenever I went to Manage the database and tried add the data as a relationship form the AS400 SQL server it kept saying "OBDC" not supported which was weird.

I have Filemaker Pro 9 server on a 32 bit server and the As400 on a 64 bit server but with 32 bit drives included. Yes ODBC drivers for the SQL server have been installed on the Filemaker server to connect to the AS400 SQL server. Currently my computer is also a 64 bit computer (yes both 32 and 64 bit drives) but i can grab the data from the SQL server manually but not as a table when managing the database.

The thing is I want this data to constantly update all the time so whenever someone updates a new record in the SQL server it'll send it to Filemaker. Also I am NOT sending that information back. Anyone with this issue please let me know what I need to do to get it to work or at least help me write up a script (please be very specific what everything means as I am still learning Filemaker).

It seems like you are trying to use it as a ESS shadow table. AS400 is not a supported system with ESS. You should be able to import the data into a FM table.

Well server 9 doesnt allow for server side imports. You will have to upgrade to at least 10 for that. Another option may be to use a "bot" machine with a schedule program to open a local filemaker file that has an opening script that runs the import and then closes when done.

This topic is 4008 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.