Server Maintenance This Week. ×

I need Help with Portals not displaying my fields

This topic is 1364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

ok i have a problem...I am trying to create a portal and i have done this many times woth out problems but now what is happening is the fields appear to be behind the portal and hance are not showing in browse mode.

I have attached a file on my screen shots...I am really confused...i hva emade many portals and i have done nothing different this time round....why suddenly is this happening...

I would really appreciate any help

I am using filemake11 on a PC

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Tina

filemaker help.pdf

Tina,

I can't tell from this screen shot what your problem is. Things to check:

1. There is a valid child record. No valid child...nothing to show.

2. The fields are from the same context as the portal.

3. As you know, your fields are completely inside the portal row.

If you want to zip and post the file, that's the easiest way for us to diagnose the problem.

My guess... The portal does not contain records, and is probably not defined to allow creation of new records.

Solution: Create a related record that will be shown in the portal.

The Siteaddress field that is showing is a field from the same table occurrence as the current layout; since it's not completely inside the portal, it's showing data from the current record.

Also note that the following fields are also from the current layout, so will probably not produce the desired effect when placed in the portal: SP, Sitesuburb

• 7 years later...
  • Newbies

Hi,

I know this is a very old post but I was wondering if a solution was ever found as I appear to be having the same problem and cannot seem to find anything online which helps.

Thanks,

Eshaan

First thing to check is that the fields are actually in the portal. They may look like they are but the way to tell for sure is to click the portal so it's selected -- don't select the fields, just the portal -- and then nudge it up or down with the arrow key. Did the fields move? If not, that's your problem.

• 7 months later...

Hi Fitch,
I think I have a similar issue - tried moving a field within the portal & now the neither the portal nor it's filter are working.
My fields are actually larger than the portal's first row, due to their content, so how do I get them back into the portal?
I've had this issue with other portals & just fiddled the field location until it stuck, but surely there's a better way?
1156207802_ScreenShot2020-02-03at16_07_49.png.9ac32b2c2605a5a8c065ca1fcb24492f.png

Also, when I go into Browse mode it shows the first record only.  Is this because the filter only works when the portal is working? (newbie question, I know)
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jenni.

Edited by JenniSTM
additional question

You can also tell if your fields are within your portal by using the 'Objects' pane on the left hand side of the FM17/18 screen in layout mode.

Single-click the portal in the layout to select your portal, then look at the Objects pane. There will be a disclosure triangle to the left of the portal's entry, and if you click that you will see which fields and other objects are within the portal (they will be indented). If they are not within the portal, then they will not show within it.

I have found that cut->click inside portal->paste sometimes convinces FM to paste them within the portal. Or just drag them out, drop them, count to ten potatoes, then drag them back in might do it. I believe it is the top-left pixel of the field that needs to be inside the boundary of the portal for it to be considered to be 'inside' it. The bottom-right of your portal does not matter, it can be way outside.

The Objects pane is 100% accurate though...

Edited by rwoods

• 3 months later...
  • Newbies

Hello all,

I've been having a similar issue as the ones listed above, and I have tried the help listed above. I've made sure my fields are in the portal, and I have attempted to make sure everything else is working as is mentioned above. I have included screenshots of the browse view, the layout view, and the database's relational view. Please let me know if I should also post the file itself if these screenshots are not enough.

Thanks

Database-design.pngLayout-view.pngno-fields.png

Yes it's easier if you post the file. Also easier if your layout mode screenshot did not have sample data enabled.

The reason why your portal (the one on the TrainingModule Details layout, designed to show records from TrainingModulePart) doesn't show any related records is that there aren't any. In fact, there aren't any records in the entire TrainingModulePart table. Once you create some records and make sure they are related, they will show in the portal.

• 2 months later...

For anyone with this issue: If you create a relationship portal an insert fields (related to the table in relationship) and it is not visible when you go to Browse view, and the match key is set, then you haven't checked create new relationship records. After you create the Relationship double click the little square in the middle of the Relationship link and ensure that "Allow creation of records in the table via this relationship" is checked, then the fields become visible. Its easy to forget if you only create relationships every now and again.

49 minutes ago, VirtualBob said:

ensure that "Allow creation of records in the table via this relationship" is checked, then the fields become visible.

What you say applies only to the first empty portal row (a.k.a the "ghost" record). If some related records already exist, the fields in their rows should be visible even if the relationship is not allowed to create records.

This topic is 1364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.