Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is there a route anyone can recommend to upgrade from 5.5 to 12

This topic is 4313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've been using fm5.5 with around 25 relational databases, but want to update to fm 12 sever and pro.

Without starting from scratch, anybody done the same?

The short answer is no. You have a file that can only be converted by going through one of the versions written in version 7. For more information read this tech article by FileMaker. http://help.filemake...WQvV2o3VnNPV2s=

You would want to do this as a rewrite anyway for a couple reasons. The main one being FileMaker has changed a lot since version 5.5. Even if the language was compatible, the process by which you would need to develop migrate these files would be like doing a complete rewrite, even if you could convert it.

BTW, this answer pretty much up applies to your one in the server area also. Such

Lee

As Lee has indicated, going from 5.5 to 12 involves two file format changes with all the functionality changes that come with that. The best approach is to convert to the old fp7 format first and follow the migration white paper that was written back in 2004. There are pre-conversion tasks that you'll need to do in your solution and post-conversion tasks. Check out MetaDataMagic from New Millennium to help you with that. Once your solution is converted to fp7 and you've tested it thoroughly you can then convert it to the new .fmp12 format.

5.5 cannot be considered truly relational as it does not allow afaik files with multiple tables. Regardless of how you convert, and it's obviously possible, a whole different concept awaits you!

Truly relational? Do you mean ACID compliant?I believe that FM 12 is not fully ACID because it does not do transactions.

None of which ever got in the way of making useful solutions to solve people's problems, even with FMP 6 and earlier. :D

Useful relational features were introduced in FMP 3. Multiple-table files were introduced in FMP 7 which made solutions neater, but the real big leap was the new security model. Oh, and the re-write of the calculation engine.

I'm not sure what the big leap forward is with FMP 12... probably the completely new layout rendering engine based on CSS and web technologies.

I still cannot get over FM Go 12 being free.

• 2 months later...

A few things I would add to this:

-There are two format changes to make in the upgrade from FM11 to FM12 is pretty hassle free so really the only problem is the change from FM6 era to the .fp7 era.

-The actual problems encountered in this depend greatly on what your solution is actually like. If it is a simple solution then it can just be converted and will mostly work correctly. I recent converted a very large solution (30+ files) and I followed the whole MetadataMagic route with pre and post conversion tasks. I found a number of issues this way but I could have also just take the approach of just deploying it and seeing what happened. I believe this was possible because the scripts and relations in this 30 file system were very simple.

So, I just wanted to say that I think you may be able to upgrade without that much trouble. Just try it and see

That said, I do have a license of MetaDataMagic and would consider working on your files on a consultancy basis if you wanted. MetaDataMagic gives you LOTS of information.

Good luck with it.

Best Regards,

Chris Van Buren

e: [email protected]

FileMaker 11 Certified Developer - FileMaker Business Alliance Member

----------------------------------------------------------

Zero Point Data Ltd.

www.zeropointdata.com

t: 01291 689966

f: 01291 689977

Abbey Lodge, Tintern

CHEPSTOW, NP16 6SF

Company Registration: 06478212 VAT: 930 3069 50

---------------------------------------------------------

This topic is 4313 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.