Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Questions about working with files in container fields

This topic is 4366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I last developed in FileMaker (back in version 7).  I've recently taken on a new project and have been getting myself back up to speed and familiar with new features.  I haven't spent any time at FMForums since that last project, but was very appreciative of the great advice I received back then.  I'm hoping some of you gurus can answer a few questions for me about container fields and file storage changes in FM12.

We're hoping to build some simple file management into our database using container fields and have FileMaker store the document externally on our file server.  Once a document is final, it is added to the database (and linked to the relevant project, institution, etc).  Because it is stored externally, it is copied to the Files folder.  The user then erases the copy from his or her hard drive.

We'd like to be able to capture the file path and launch the file as well, but neither of these (rather obvious) functions seems to work.  Are there ways to accomplish this?  Do I need to use AppleScript?  Or am I better off using a file plugin like Troi?

We'd also like to have files stored in a simple filing system that would be defined by a calculation.  There would be a folder for each project within the Files folder.  Each project folder would contain several sub-folders, ie: Correspondence, Drawings, and Pictures.  No additional levels.  When a file is dragged and dropped or inserted via Insert File (what's the difference?), other fields will determine the sub-folder.  If the user labels the file as a Drawing in the File Type drop-down field, then it gets stored in the ProjectName/Drawings folder.  It seems like FileMaker can do this?  Or am I wrong?  What do I need to accomplish this level of functionality?

I was watching some intro videos on DocuBin by 360Works earlier and was wondering how they accomplish saving the text from PDF, Word, and other document types into a (hidden) text field for searching?  Any ideas?

Also, if there are any good previous discussions on container fields that are worth reading in any of the forums, I'd appreciate references.

Thanks!

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...

First I haven't tried this but… Set the container to interactive (PDF) and set the folder names in define fields container options. This can be a calculation so you might be able to get a variety of subfolders. Im not sure you can store the files other than the default location ie a subfolder of the database file's location.

This does work but if a users changes their mind and gives the image a different description then FM doesn't tidy up after itself and the old references seem to remain. Maybe there is some way to refresh but IDK

We'd like to be able to capture the file path and launch the file as well, but neither of these (rather obvious) functions seems to work. Are there ways to accomplish this? Do I need to use AppleScript? Or am I better off using a file plugin like Troi?

Neither. The thing to remember about remote container data in FM12 is that you should treat them as regular container fields. So if you want to launch a file embedded in the container you should first do an "export field contents" scrip step to the local hard disk and then launch it. The remote container field feature is NOT designed so that you can interact with the external file directly.

You can interact with PDF files (and movies and audio). Be sure to set the "interactive" option in the Inspector. But as Wim says, for other types you'd have to export and launch.

As John says, you can calculate a path pretty easily. You set the base path under Manage > Containers, and it can be pretty much anywhere for a local file. On FM Server you are more constrained as to where the base path can be. If you choose to use secure storage then you don't get to choose the path, that's by design.

To your last question, DocuBin uses 360Works Scribe to extract the text from Word and PDF files.

Or am I better off using a file plugin like Troi?

-Rob

We have used Troi file for years for what you describe. Our users simply drop the document into the FM window and Troi file takes it from there, creating folders and renaming and copying the file to the server based on the record data.

This topic is 4366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.