Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Pro12 or Advanced

This topic is 4317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi!

I'm new both to this forum and to filemaker, and have a (have figured out as I've gone along) development background in MSAccess/VBA and a tiny bit of SQL.

I'm looking at developing in filemaker for a number of reasons, and have started to have a play. I'm already feeling incredibly limited by not having the advanced version.

My immediate problem is that I have legacy FM databases that contain one massive table of hundred of fields, and I would like to start splitting things up, but I can't copy tables or move fields from one to another. I can't figure out how to pull a schema across without trailing data everywhere I go. I understand that FM advanced has a script debugger which I would envisage will be useful, but havent even go that far yet.

Before I march in to my (new) bosses office and ask for an upgrade;

Is the advanced version really all that fantastic?

Are my current limitations stemming from my MSAccess mentaliity and not the software?

What would most developers be using?

Thanks!

PS Oh, and does it annoy anyone else that you have limited control over field properties from the table level, you do all the rest only once you stick it on a layout?

Hi!

I'm new both to this forum and to filemaker, and have a (have figured out as I've gone along) development background in MSAccess/VBA and a tiny bit of SQL.

I'm looking at developing in filemaker for a number of reasons, and have started to have a play. I'm already feeling incredibly limited by not having the advanced version.

My immediate problem is that I have legacy FM databases that contain one massive table of hundred of fields, and I would like to start splitting things up, but I can't copy tables or move fields from one to another. I can't figure out how to pull a schema across without trailing data everywhere I go. I understand that FM advanced has a script debugger which I would envisage will be useful, but havent even go that far yet.

Before I march in to my (new) bosses office and ask for an upgrade;

Is the advanced version really all that fantastic?

Are my current limitations stemming from my MSAccess mentaliity and not the software?

Thanks!

PS Oh, and does it annoy anyone else that you have limited control over field properties from the table level, you do all the rest only once you stick it on a layout?

A table is just for looking at data...if you want anything else you have to create a layout.. its not that annoying if you just get in the habit of that way of thougt....

Get the developer version if you are developing.

Don't get Filemaker 12 though just yet : http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/715ef37320?start=1&stop=10

1). Is the advanced version really all that fantastic?

2). Are my current limitations stemming from my MSAccess mentaliity and not the software?

1).Yes.

I've always developed using the Advance and forgot how much I relied on the developer tools, until I tested moving one of my files from v11 to the Client v12. I was astonished on how much more work there was involved in moving things like scripts, fields, TO's, etc.. I also didn't realize how much I used the Script Debugger, and Data Viewer. I ordered the FileMaker Pro Advance 12 immediately.

2). You wouldn't be the 1st person who has felt this way about making the switch from Access to FileMaker Pro. it is a whole different mindset and you will have to put aside the way you did things in Access, and learn how do it the FileMaker way.

No. Although you can create fields in table view, I find it easier to use Manage Database.

Don't get Filemaker 12 though just yet

I disagree. The Advance and Standard Editions are the same engines. Any bugs and fixes will be provided for both version. in the meantime she will have the advantage of using the tools available in the FileMaker Pro advanced 12.

Lee

p.s. I forgot to ask.

Are you moving files from an older version to FMP 12? If so, do you have the Advance edition for that version?

Is this a one-time need, if so, It may not be worth the cost to upgrade to the Advance version. if you plan on more developing in the future, then it would definitely be worth the purchase. I.e. provided your boss buys into it.

I disagree. The Advance and Standard Editions are the same engines. Any bugs and fixes will be provided for both version. in the meantime she will have the advantage of using the tools available in the FileMaker Pro advanced 12.

Filemaker are in the process of developing a solution for the speed issues in Filemaker 12 as it is unusable in its current state.

They have already notified us not to develop any tools that help edit the CSS style layouts.

Can you be 100% sure that a solution developed with Filemaker 12 now may not be subject to change in some way due to the fix FM come out with?

Filemaker are in the process of developing a solution for the speed issues in Filemaker 12 as it is unusable in its current state.

They have already notified us not to develop any tools that help edit the CSS style layouts.

Can you be 100% sure that a solution developed with Filemaker 12 now may not be subject to change in some way due to the fix FM come out with?

Where are you getting this information? The link you provided was about the slowness in list view, a canned response we are Investigating it, and is dated 2 months ago.

I have not received any notification from FileMaker about the CSS in regards to what you state. Where did that come from?

I have read and view every "How-To's" about modifying the themes, that has been posted, and yes, they have warned not to store them in the theme library, but I have not read or viewed anywhere a caution from FileMaker about modifying the CSS.

I can not guarantee anything that I don't have complete control of.

I can only go by my personal experience with FileMaker over the last 20 years. They have never left me in a lurch when they have patched, updated, or came out with a new application and I have no reason to believe that they will do anything different in this case. If you have information from FileMaker to the contrary, please share with us.

Lee

Where are you getting this information? The link you provided was about the slowness in list view, a canned response we are Investigating it, and is dated 2 months ago.

I have not received any notification from FileMaker about the CSS in regards to what you state. Where did that come from?

I have read and view every "How-To's" about modifying the themes, that has been posted, and yes, they have warned not to store them in the theme library, but I have not read or viewed anywhere a caution from FileMaker about modifying the CSS.

I can not guarantee anything that I don't have complete control of.

I can only go by my personal experience with FileMaker over the last 20 years. They have never left me in a lurch when they have patched, updated, or came out with a new application and I have no reason to believe that they will do anything different in this case. If you have information from FileMaker to the contrary, please share with us.

Lee

Hi Lee

Not sure which information your referring to so ill address them all!

Filemaker are in the process of developing a solution for the speed issues in Filemaker 12 as it is unusable in its current state

>Have seen posts in forums from filemaker saying its been looked at and I have had emails from Filemaker themselves stating a fix is being worked on.

>http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10880 <- This may not be directly related to the fact that the current themes will not be compatible with a new patch / release

My point is that the new css based way of doing layouts is potentially the culprit for the speed issues so its not out of the question that they may need to modify it.

Therefore I wouldn't like to be in a postion to say to someone 100% "yeah fine go ahead and create a layout using filemaker 12 it will be future proof" I just don't think we can be that confident and it's at least worth mentioning to a newbie.

I for one hope I'm wrong as I have spent weeks redesigning old layouts to the use the new themes!

Matt

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies. Using FM12 is a fait accompli for me, version control is outside my sphere of influence, although once I have "my" databases up and running I will have some control going forward.

I'll try to get my filemaker brain on and see how I go. Oh, and I'll get the advanced version. Well, I'll ask nicely anyway.

K

PS I have posted a question about the appropriateness of FM for my purposes under "FM Go For for iPhone and iPad" and would be grateful for any and all opinions.

Having come from an Access background myself, I can tell you: you will be frustrated by what seems to be a lack of developer tools in FM. Access is way more powerful in that respect.

But where Access falls flat (and why I stayed in FM) is the simple fact that what you design well in FM scales very easily to a few hundred users.

Not having the same VBA editor nor the ability to easily integrate with the OS and other apps from within VBA is annoying. Especially since the Mac version of FM has the native capability to execute AppleScript. No equivalent in the FM Windows version.

So try not to do things the Access way, and I'm sure you'll end up liking FM as much as I did.

Wim

PS I have posted a question about the appropriateness of FM for my purposes under "FM Go For for iPhone and iPad" and would be grateful for any and all opinions.

A very good point to be made with your boss, FM Go for 12 is free.

A very good point to be made with your boss, FM Go for 12 is free.

Indeed, but basing a major business decision on saving a one-off $50 license cost per device for a dozen users is pretty short sighted when the project is likely to cost multiple $10,000s to develop, implement and support.

This topic is 4317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.