Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Script Execution

This topic is 4048 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I want to execute a script in a database which is uploaded in server from client system. Is it possible to execute a script from client system.

The actual scenario is, i want to add a record from my client machine. When i add record a voice should be come from the server or from the system where the file is hosted that " one record is added".  

Thanks

"A voice should come from the server" ? Sorry, hard not to laugh.

OK, your profile says that you are an FM 10 Certified developer. However, your question suggests that you do not have a basic understanding of how FM works. Please explain.

"A voice should come from the server" ? Sorry, hard not to laugh.

OK, your profile says that you are an FM 10 Certified developer. However, your question suggests that you do not have a basic understanding of how FM works. Please explain.

If you didn't understand my question then i can explain it to you but if you understand the question and don't know the solution then never try to post this type of comment. It show that why you did the FM 9, 10 and 11 certification its totally worthless.

The scenario is : I open my application in my system and share this through FileMaker Network, at the same time when other user open this application remotely  and adds a record, after that a voice message should come from my system that "one record is added". Is it possible ? Is there any way to do this ? If you know then please suggest.

Thanks.

I want to execute a script in a database which is uploaded in server from client system. Is it possible to execute a script from client system.

Do you mean "I want the hosting computer to alert me when a new record is added"?

If you are hosting with FileMaker PRO then the best you can do is run an OnTimer script to scan for a change in the number of records in the table. The same OnTimer script could be running in any of the clients also.

If you are hosting with FileMaker SERVER then you can execute a server side script using an XML call - you may need to read up on this. But that won't provide an alert to any users unless you have the OnTimer script running as I mentioned above.

Aren't these subjects covered in the certification programme?

I want to execute a script in a database which is uploaded in server from client system

This is significantly different than the scenario you describe in your reply to bcooney.  A server is meant to be a an anonymous box, running FileMaker Server and that runs with nobody logged into the OS.  So having a voice say something when a record is added is totally pointless.

The scenario that you described in your second post does not involve a server, but peer-to-peer hosting where an actual user is acting as the host.

It's important to get the terminology straight...

Why bother?

Besides not understanding even basic FileMaker terminology, what is the purpose of hearing when another user has added a record? What do you do differently when that happens?

@Anand - Yeah, get the terminology straight. Amazing you passed the FM10 certification without knowing the difference between the client and the server.

This topic is 4048 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.