Trouble with Portals

biredale

This topic is 3589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I am having trouble with what I assume is a basic portal function, to use it as a button to goto the specific record selected in the portal on a related layout.

For example;

Student table and classes table

Student layout contains the student name and a portal of related classes.

When I click on the portal I want the classes layout to be presented displaying the record clicked on in the portal.

It does not matter what record I select in the portal, the first matching (student) record is always returned.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I am having trouble with what I assume is a basic portal function, to use it as a button to goto the specific record selected in the portal on a related layout.

For example;

Student table and classes table

Student layout contains the student name and a portal of related classes.

When I click on the portal I want the classes layout to be presented displaying the record clicked on in the portal.

It does not matter what record I select in the portal, the first matching (student) record is always returned.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

I am having the same problem, 

I have a student for which I made a diploma for the training completed. Of course one training has several students, and I have a student table and a training table related by TrainingID and StudentID.

I have a button in the portal row with attached script step go to related record (all bells and whistles included..) the diploma is to be save as PDF to be sent by email.

The problem I have is the first record is always the selected record and the PDF saving works perfect saving the whole set as a PDF - all pages in the same document.

Otherwise I have to select manually each record page in order to print each page - each diploma ...!!

Is there any trick to go around this problem as I have search but found no solution yet.

What I would like is to get the correct page for each student record (having the correct related student selected) in Preview Mode (that works) and just PDF save the diploma to later send it attached to an email...

Thanks in advance for any trick lead, or direct help.. anything will be very much appreciated.

I'm not quite sure about your setup (and where that portal is, and where it leads), but you should be aware that the “Save Records as PDF” script step lets you choose between “Records being browsed” and “Current record”.

So you could go to the related records, then either save the current record as PDF, or loop through the found set and save each single record as PDF, one by one. Re-import each PDF into a container field, using the same path as when saving it.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. What I have is a portal where students of a course show up. I have a button in the portal row with a script that lead me to a new window showing the diploma of the course in preview mode. THE problem is that when I click the button everything works fine, until I go to print and save the diploma page as PDF. If I select the whole set of students it works fine and give me a PDF with all diplomas one in each page.

If I click on the button in the FIRST row of the portal, I print and save as PDF perfectly, BUT when I click the second, third, etc. I the PDF saving works showing me only the first record. which is the only one selected. So I have to go and select each record manually in order to save each diploma as PDF.

The problem is that "go to related record" does not seem to care about the selected record, it shows me the correct record with the correct student data, but if I try to save as PDF it saves the diploma BUT with the data from the student of the first row of the portal...!!! 

After I made my script, I made a sample to test and found the problem. Since then I am trying to get around, and the only way I found around is doing myself the related record selection and saving, YES by hand...!!!! SO, it works, automated with a script it does not. 

Therefore my research on the forum and question in this very same matter.

Thanks in advance for any tip, trick, lead to get around this glitch.

Thanks in advance for any tip, trick, lead to get around this glitch.

There is no glitch – something's wrong with your script. Why don't you have us let a look at it?

(On the Mac, you can open the script in FileMaker, press Cmd-P, choose “Open in Preview” from the popup in the Print dialog, then copy the script text from the resulting PDF document in Preview.)

It sounds to me that you are ticking the show all related records in the related records dialog box. to get just the current record to print you need to tick match current record only. To have the option to print all at once, place the same button outside the portal and it will go to all the related records shown within the portal.

This topic is 3589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.