Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automatic updating of a field

This topic is 3622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Ok, so I took the advice from some of you guys and created one table with a category field.

Another problem arose as it had to be changed.

First, If you haven't read any of my previous threads I am designing a database for a horse livery yard.

Ok, so I have a field which shows when the horse was last shod which is automatically updated when I add a new record for hoof care.

I attached a script to the return button from the hoof care layout to the main layout which sets the 'last shod info' as the date entered. The rest should be explained in the screenshots because I really can't explain it.

But my problem is that this is no longer working now that it's all in the one table.

Do yous have any solutions that could fix this or know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Conor.post-111022-0-19448700-1400780251_thumb.post-111022-0-38539500-1400780253_thumb.

Ok, so I took the advice from some of you guys and created one table with a category field.

Actually, before I start to speculate what exactly “all in one table” means, I would rather ask you to show your relationships, i.e. a screenshot of your Relationship Graph that includes the match fields (no totally minimised TO boxes).

Actually: the advice was to pay a developer to help you, because it sounded like your structure cannot meet your needs.

Now that we can see a bit of your structure - the same advice applies.

This sounds like a duplicate post? Where is the Advice you took (link please)?

But my problem is that this is no longer working now that it's all in the one table.

Do yous have any solutions that could fix this or know what I am doing wrong?

IMHO, you are asking the wrong question (or questions). Nothing will work for you until you get your basic structure in order. I suggest you put everything else - scripts, calculations, user interface (esp. user interface) - aside and concentrate on this part alone. As was already suggested in your other threads, you should have a structure of:

Clients -< Horses -< Charges >- ChargeTypes

This is assuming that the different charges are more or less alike in the fields needed to describe them. Otherwise it gets more complex.

Hey Conor, 

The professional developers who have responded do not respond to get new clients nor to make money; they do so to provide the best free assistance available.  If you do not have a proper structure, you will continually hit road-blocks and you will eventually, once you DO understand what you are doing, have to restructure which is major undertaking.

If ... when given advice ... you try it and it does not work, POST BACK.  Tell us specifically what you did (and it always helps to include your test file, screen shots etc) and what didn't work.  We can then step you through what you did went wrong.

Communicating only via words isn't always easy.  So instead of getting frustrated, relax and just work through it with us.  You do NOT have to hire a developer but you MUST be willing to listen to one nonetheless.  So we don't know if you've tried anything or what you tried and what were the results.  

Listen to Comment.  You could not pay for advice any better.  We do not judge you because you are new ... we ALL were new once.  Hang in there!   :laugh2:

• Like 1

Conor, I’m leaving the two threads as is.

Have you looked into taking a class on FileMaker? Although, FileMaker has a reputation for being easy to learn and use, it still has a learning curve. Depending how complicated your files are, and your knowledge of database design, skills, ERDs, and things such as Relationships,  that learning curve can be pretty steep.

So, as an alternative to hiring a professional developer to work with you, check out some of sites that provide training in FileMaker. Let us know if you need help finding one to match your needs, several of them have been recommend by our members in the past.

HTH

Lee

• Like 1

Start with the resources at FileMaker Inc Here

Also, I like the videos at

http://www.lynda.com/FileMaker-Pro-tutorials/FileMaker-Pro-13-Essential-Training/161168-2.html

and

http://www.filemakermagazine.com

Edited by Lee Smith
added a couple of sites
  • Like 2

Comment, can you please explain to me what you mean by

"You should have a structure of:
Clients -< Horses -< Charges >- ChargeTypes

This is assuming that the different charges are more or less alike in the fields needed to describe them. Otherwise it gets more complex."

Can I just ask what you meant by ChargeTypes? And "more or less alike"?

This topic is 3622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.