Is there a tally-mark function on Filemaker Pro 13?

This topic is 3420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Rather than having tally marks, why not have a number field with plus "+" (and minus "-") buttons next to it? The plus button can simply be:

Set Field [Table::tally; Value: Table::tally + 1]

It doesn't even need a script.

• Like 1

Why a tick instead of a count?

The reason it is best to use records is that you can include a timestamp.  You could also include the AccountName so you know who performed the count.  If the student clicks but forgets if they have counted or they aren't sure if it took, they would be inclined to click again.  Instead, if they can look at a timestamp, they will know they had counted so accuracy is increased.  The records do not need to display; in fact, only a count can display (please see demo file attached).

I sort the relationship descending to display the last timestamp on the layout by the count so they can see the last tally.

Plants.fp7.zip

• Like 1

I forgot to mention additional benefit of records ...  that related data provides you valuable comparisons:

• The plant-count per acre this year to last or a comparison of December counts over multiple years.
  • Counts per month to track growth cycles and create chart showing proliferation.
  • Track productivity of team members ... how many count-actions did each member do per day or month.
  • Include Location field, site index and generate report results by Location.
  • With site index tables, you can predict future growth as well.
I wrote a data-modeling program years ago (prior to FM) which grew trees of 40,000 acres belonging to a private landowner and it ran comparisons:  What if I thin this plot this year and fertilise next spring what will be my board footage?  What if I fertilise this year and don't thin for two years?  It used predictive tables, side of mountain located and site indexes.  It ended up being highly accurate!

It is exciting stuff and probably much more than you ever wanted to know.  My apology for exhibiting my exuberance for data-modeling.  :crazy2:
  • Like 1

I believe that is correct, Mike.  My point was that, why would it need to be when a number provides same thing - either way it is a button click.  I suppose we could convert to ticks easily (and making a 5-tick image even).  Point is, even ticks take more space than a number.  I am pleased that you chimed in!  Hopefully we'll hear back from her.  :-)

I didn't get an email with Stephanie's response about not opening the file!  The file is in fp7 format so those with version 11 can open it as well.  It should open fine, converting it to 12/13 format. :-)

The issue is probably as Josh indicates.  Be sure to unzip to file onto your system and then open it.

This topic is 3420 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.