Why is "specify field" list not alphabetical?

This topic is 3366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When I place a new field on a layout, the "specify field" list is in full alphabetical order.  When I click on an existing field, to change to another field name, the list is only partially alphabetical.  It appears that the bulk of my fields are sorted correctly, but then after some date (not sure when) the list began to populate chronoligically, starting after the last z named field, with all new fields at the bottom of the list. 

VERY frustrating when sorting through a long list of fields.

Anyone else expereince this?  Is there a way to change this?

Is there a way to change this?

Check out the Field Picker in Layout mode. You can move them up and down, sort them by the same orders as in the Manage Databases. It is a nice improvement from going in and out of Manage Databases.

AFAIK, fields in the "Specify Field" dialog are listed in the same order you have selected to view them in the Manage Database > Fields window. I find this arrangement very reasonable and wouldn't want it to be changed.

I have seen instances where these do not match up. For example, in Manage Databases I have my fields sorted alphabetically but when selecting fields from a layout they appear in creation order. It has not happened frequently enough for me to track down what's causing it but I am wondering if it might be related to using a data separation model and linking to them as an external data source.

It happens when you use separation model, the files are served, and you open another file (tested on Windows XP but it seems now confirmed on Mac as well).  And the tests I ran were in version 11 so I guess it still exists.  You can sort in Manage Database alphabetically but the FIRST time the dialogs are opened to the other file, they show in creation order.  It has always bothered me, which is one of the reasons that, when completely re-writing a solution, I'll try to have the new fields inputted in alphabetical (or logical) order to begin with.  No, it will never be perfect because fields will always be added but if the majority are in your preferred order, it will be simpler to find fields later on.

As said, the new Field Picker helps but only when selecting fields to place on layout.  It does not help for import dialogs and such.  Once a field from the list has been selected, all subsequent openings of dialogs to that table (for that session) will be the 'manage database' order.

Added ... I highly suggest spending the time to pin down your field-naming conventions before a re-write so they can remain in creation ala alphabetical order. ;-)

• Like 1

This topic is 3366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.