Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Search for "other" values of a value list

This topic is 3075 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Good day,

I have a field called "Advert" which is a check box with "allow enter other values". What I need is to be able to search for all records that have value(s) in the "Other" check box.

Furthermore, How can I get a list of all values in the "other" check box for all of my records?

For example, I need to know what adverts are typed in the "Other" check box over all of my records. Imagine, record number 12 has "Google" typed in the check box, then record number 46 has "Yahoo" in it.

First, I need a list of them. Only the ones are typed in the "other" check box and not the other check boxes from the value list.

Second, I need to be able to perform a find based on "google" or "Yahoo" or both.

Thanks for your help.

Good day,

I have a field called "Advert" which is a check box with "allow enter other values". What I need is to be able to search for all records that have value(s) in the "Other" check box.

Other never gets inserted as a value in the record unless someone types "Other" after checking other.

Furthermore, How can I get a list of all values in the "other" check box for all of my records?

See the attached file and find on the calculation field = 0 and export the checkbox field.

For example, I need to know what adverts are typed in the "Other" check box over all of my records. Imagine, record number 12 has "Google" typed in the check box, then record number 46 has "Yahoo" in it.

First, I need a list of them. Only the ones are typed in the "other" check box and not the other check boxes from the value list.

Second, I need to be able to perform a find based on "google" or "Yahoo" or both.

To find on the checkbox field and isolate a single Other entry youll have to expose the field as a text box so you can enter the value "Google" that you want to find. I would leverage the Hide Object when attribute of the checkbox control in inspector to hide the checkbox control in find mode and show the text edit box in find mode.

This will get you part of the way there.

checkbox.zip

Edited by Kris M

So long as you know what the original possible values were, then you can perform multiple Omit requests to not find the original values - what's left are the 'extra' values.

From the remaining set of records you can create a list of the values 

10 hours ago, siroos12 said:

What I need is to be able to search for all records that have value(s) in the "Other" check box.

This is an interesting question (or rather questions, as there are several requirements you have there). From this you can understand that the answers are not as simple as one might expect.

The easiest solution would probably be a calculation field that lists all (and only) the "other" values entered into the field (in the same record) . Then you can use this for both finding (as this field will be empty when no "other" values have been entered) and for producing the list, using either a value list based on this calculation field (to list all the "other" values in all records of the table) or a summary field (to list all the "other" values in all records of the current found set).

Unfortunately, Filemaker has no built-in function to complement FilterValues() and provide the difference between two lists. If you have the Advanced version*, you can use a recursive custom function for this purpose.

---
(*) Please update your profile to reflect your current version.

14 minutes ago, webko said:

you can perform multiple Omit requests to not find the original values - what's left are the 'extra' values.

Alas that will also omit all records that have "other" value/s entered along with a "legit" value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, comment said:

Alas that will also omit all records that have "other" value/s entered along with a "legit" value.

Ah, yes...

All depends on whether 'Advert' actually uses more than one value for a given record but yes, if there are multiple checkboxes including a normal and an 'Other' value this will fail.

6 minutes ago, comment said:

(*) Please update your profile to reflect your current version.

Perhaps they are using a version older than 11, for which the version choice is “Other"

This topic is 3075 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.